Wednesday, June 24, 2009

High Dose Probiotics

I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have titled this blog "It's Always Something", after I've gone from food allergies to bacteria to fungus to parasites and all the uncomfortable treatments for those gut bugs. I finished the awful flagyl treatment for c-diff (clostridium difficile) a week ago. However the side effects of nausea and strong metallic taste persisted for several more days. I can still taste metal when my stomach is empty. However the nausea was almost gone ... until today.

Now that I'm taking high dose probiotics (127 billion good bacteria per dose) to replace all the good bacteria killed by flagyl, I have a new set of side effects. High dose probiotics typically cause bloating and gas immediately after taking those. I experienced that at night plus new symptoms during the day, cramping pain, fatigue, slight nausea and feeling uncomfortable, but not overly full, after meals. I haven't taken the high dose probiotics for awhile. So I forgot all the side effects.

I sure HOPE these side affects are from the probiotics, rather than symptoms of remaining c-diff bacteria. I've read that some people need more than one antibacterial treatment to completely kill off the c-diff. However, after that horrible experience with flagyl, I decided to finish my 7 day probiotic treatment and then assess my symptoms. If I really do have c-diff symptoms, I will still have cramping pain and nausea after a few days off the probiotics. Nevertheless, I won't take flagyl again. If I need more antibacterial treatment, I'll ask for vancomycin, which is more expensive but has less uncomfortable side effects.

I believe I have 3 more doses of probiotics (which I take before my evening meal). So I'll post again several days after I finish the probiotics.

No comments: