Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Metronidazole Side Effects

Late Monday afternoon my naturopath finally called into my local HMO pharmacy a prescription for metronidazole (flagyl) to kill the clostridium difficile critters. So I started taking 2 tablets 3 times a day for the next 10 days. Common side effects are similar to symptoms of clostridium d; (nausea, stomach pain, headache, vomitting, plus a few more which I haven't yet experienced). Well actually I haven't yet vomitted. However, I'm here typing this comment at 2 am because I feel so nauseas that I thought sitting up would prevent me from vomitting right now. I don't know how long I can fight off this nausea, before I start throwing up, which usually turns into hours of dry heaves.

Usually the side effects peak 1-2 hours after taking flagyl and then subside. However, tonight another common side effect, stuffy nose made breathing so difficult that I woke up after 2-1/2 hours of sleep. Then I realized I was so nauseated that I might vomit if I didn't get up. Now I seriously doubt that I'll go back to bed without throwing up.

I've read studies that suggest taking milk thistle can reduce the possibility of liver damage from flagyl (another nasty side effect). So I emailed my naturopath to ask whether I should take milk thistle while I took flagyl. (Unfortunately, milk thistle also causes side effects of nausea and stomach upset.) My doctor replied: "Milk thistle is a nice herb which also protects liver. You don't need it, but it won't hurt to take it." That reply was not helpful, especially the "you don't need it but ..." part. Of course this is the same naturopath who asked me whether stress might cause my symptoms and recommended I get talk therapy, accupuncture or massage for my symptoms, which were later diagnosed as Clostridium difficile, a pathogenic (occasionally fatal) bacteria. I lost confidence in my doctor.

I also worry that flagyl will cause even more severe side effects, like constipation or, even worse, liver damage. If my nausea is this bad after only 4 doses, will my side effects increase in severity during the next 26 doses? I also wonder whether milk thistle will just cause more nausea, gut pain and vomiting, even if it protects my liver from flagyl damage?

OOPS!! I couldn't resist the nausea any longer. I guess my body knows better than I how to relieve the nausea. At least that didn't turn into dry heaves. Maybe I can finally go back to sleep now.

No comments: