Tuesday, March 31, 2009

If I Never Ate Past Full

The 'what would I miss' exercise is so enlightening that I decided to ask myself about other disordered eating habits, which I intend to replace with normal eating, but which I often continue to use. I often eat past physical sensations of 'satisfied', 'just enough' or 'comfortably full'. So I asked myself:

WHAT WOULD I MISS IF I NEVER ATE PAST SATISFACTION OR COMFORTABLY FULL?

Reassurance (from an uncomfortably full stomach) that I wouldn't feel hungry for a several hours, long enough to 'last' 4-6 hours, (maybe that's really 'freedom' from fear of feeling hungry before I want to prepare a meal);

Reassurance that I ate enough fiber or fat or protein or whatever food nutrient I overate;

Freedom from feeling 'deprived' when I stop eating before I clean my plate;

Freedom to eat as much as I served myself (clean my plate);

Freedom to eat everything on my plate AND dessert, whether or not I am satisfied;

Feeling virtuous about not wasting food;

Freedom from dealing with leftovers;

Procrastinating unpleasant activities which I planned for after the meal;

Distraction while I waited for my husband to finish his meal;

(I'll add other items as those occur to me.)

'Freedom' and 'distraction' from feelings seem to be a common theme in my answers. Perhaps I'm reacting to my 'subjugation' schema thoughts by wanting 'freedom' to eat past full. Learning to cope with painful emotions can help me stop when satisfied as well as avoid bingeing and/or purging (mentioned in previous posts). I suspect my 'deprivation' schema influences my desire to continue eating past satisfaction, because stopping if there is food still on my plate feels like deprivation. I try to serve myself just enough so that I don't feel deprived, but I can't always guess how much my body needs. So I have to confront 'deprivation' feelings when I feel full and still have food on my plate. I suspect at that point I could shift my focus to what else (besides food), I could give myself. Anticipating an enjoyable activity after a meal may motivate me to stop eating when I'm just satisfied.

No comments: