Saturday, March 12, 2011

Still Need Extra T3 and Mg

I'm still taking extra T3 (liothyronine) and sometimes extra magnesium to prevent constipation. (When I cut back, the constipation returns.) I only need about 1-2 mcg more T3 for a total of 11-12 mcg daily (vs. my original 10 mcg). I sometimes take a little more (150 mg) magnesium (in addition to my normal 900 mg daily). If I have a bad cold, I take more vitamin C. However all those additions can cause intestinal cramps. So I suspect I still have higher than normal levels of vitamin D, which causes constipation. Nevertheless, even 12 mcg of T3 is much less than I took before I started LDN. I was doing well with 50 mcg of T4 (Levoxyl) and 10mcg of liothyronine, before LDN enhanced the effects of my thyroid supplements and cause hyperthyroid symptoms. Since I have difficulty converting T4 to T3, I opted to just drop the T4. My doc didn't mind my T4 levels being low, because my hypothyroid symptoms were controlled by the T3 ... UNTIL I overdosed on vitamin D.

So I still get constipated if I don't take extra T3 and magnesium. I wonder how long vitamin D can stay stored in my muscles?? My doc said reducing Vitamin D to normal levels can take months. I've abstained from vitamin D less than 2 months now. Oh well, I don't need to waste $$ on vitamin D supplements, because I have soooo much extra in my body. That doesn't seem to help my immunity much. With ongoing neutropenia, I still get frequent respiratory infections. So I'm also still taking LDN and hoping that will improve my immunity.

No comments: