Saturday, February 19, 2011

D3, T3, IAG, LDN Update

I'm still struggling with the side effect of Vitamin D3 overdose (constipation). For awhile I did really well with adding 150mg extra magnesium (for a total of over 1000 mg daily magnesium) to metabolize the vitamin D and adding extra T3 (1/3-1/2 of a 5 mcg pill). Both extra Mg and T3 resolved my regularity problem.

However, after I experienced some hyperthyroid symptoms (palpitations), I decided to cut back on the extra T3. BIG MISTAKE!! The constipation returned with a vengence (bleeding hemorrhoids). So I'm back on extra T3 and extra Mg and have normal regularity. However, I'm still dealing with bleeding hemorrhoids. So I'm using 1-2 daily (10 minute) sitzbath sessions to relieve hemorrhoidal swelling and hopefully heal the bleeding hemorrhoids. Preventing constipation is the best thing I can do to prevent hemorrhoids. Nevertheless, I know from experience that bleeding hemorrhoids heal rather slowly.

At my last appointment my doc expressed some concern about taking IAG (arabinogalactan) longterm (more than 6 months). Because I already took IAG for almost 5 months, I asked my doc what she learned about longterm side effects of arabinogalactans. She told me 'joint pain', but she didn't know the physiology of that side effect (or what specifically caused that reaction). So I did some online research and read that IAG is sometimes used for autoimmune diseases.

I know that many autoimmune diseases are highly correlated with (or even caused by) gluten intolerance (gluten antibody damage). Also joint pain is often a symptom of gluten intolerance. So I need to see studies which show that joint pain is actually the result of IAG, rather than untreated gluten intolerance. In other words, perhaps subjects who experienced joint pain were not on a gluten free diet. So the gluten, rather than the IAG, caused the joint symptom. Nevertheless, I plan use IAG only when I have cold symptoms and taper off slowly over the next month or so.

Meanwhile, I counted my remaining low dose Naltrexone capsules and calculated that I have a months' worth left. I divide the contents of my 3mg capsules into capsules containing 1.75-2mg. So I have enough to continue taking that nightly for over a month. I started LDN in late November. So by the end of March, I will have taken LDN for 4 months. That should be long enough to raise my white blood cell (specifically neutrophil) level to a normal range.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

How are you doing now, Sue? I haven't talked with you in a while. I've had some new health developments. Maybe we can catch up on yahoo some time. I hope you are well!

sue said...

Hi Lisa:
I'm slightly better. I figured out how much extra T3 and magnesium I need to stay 'regular' and avoid bleeding hemorrhoids. However, I still get those occasionally (this morning actually). I seem to recover from colds much sooner. However, I still get respiratory viruses. So I'm still taking LDN, B12 and folate to increase white blood cells and arabinogalactin to fight cold symptoms (and improve immunity). Also still waiting for my hair to grow to 'bob' length. (I need to keep my priorities straight ... on my hairstyle. LOL)

I'll look for you on yahoo IM so that we can chat.