Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another Bad Cold/Sinus Infection

For awhile I seemed to control cold symptoms with my arabinogalactin (Biotiks IAG). I would get symptoms, take my IAG and then experience no symptoms for 12 hours or so. During a couple of days I didn't have any cold symptoms. However, once again I have a really bad cold and/or sinus infection. I really needed sleep last night. I expected to just sleep in, because we set the clocks forward, making daylight later.

After tossing and turning for about 30 minutes to find a position where I could breathe with my stuffy nose, I awoke 5 hours later at 4:30am, because my sinuses were so congested that I could hardly breathe. Eventually I got up, took my arabinogalactin, which clears my sinuses within 30 minutes, and began breathing more easily. However, my sinuses were so inflamed from this infection that every breath was painful. So I couldn't get back to sleep.

An hour later I decided to take some Tylenol for the sinus pain so that I could sleep. Eventually (30 minutes later) I could breathe without pain and went back to sleep. However the light woke me up again after about an hour of sleep. As tired as I was, I gave up, got up and hoped that being upright would reduce my congestion.

When I got up, I felt really hungry. So I went downstairs and ate an orange, which I always crave when I have cold. 2 hours later I had a regular breakfast of blueberries and peanut butter on an English muffin half. Hopefully blueberries will improve immunity.

Now I feel exhausted and sick, but I don't want to go back to bed. Being horizontal prevents me from breathing, because my congestion worsens. So I'm in another vicious cycle situation. I need sleep to overcome this cold, but my sinuses are so congested that I can't breathe when I lay down. I suspect I'll fall asleep sitting up during the sermon at church tonight. I've been sick so often during the past 9 months that I haven't heard many entire sermons. SIGH

2 comments:

Claudi said...

I am sorry to hear you are sick again, just getting over my bad cold/ sinus/ lung infection ! know how you feel this winter seems to be bad for getting one cold after another
Get better soon !!!!!!
Claudia :)

sue said...

Thanks, Claudia. I wish I could blame this cold on the weather. We have had more rain than usual. However, I know that having low white blood cells (neutropenia) makes me vulnerable to one cold after another. I can count on one hand the number of days I have not have cold symptoms during the past 9 months.

If my immune system were healthy, I should have made antibodies to every cold virums out there by now. LOL Fortunately I have my trusty arabinogalactan and ginger tea (also good for colds), which help me get through colds pretty fast. Nevertheless, this cold is more severe than any I've previously had.

I think I have a sinus infection, because I saw blood in my mucus several times today. Also I was sooo sick yesterday that I stayed home from church. That's the first church service I've missed since 1999, when I stayed in bed for 8 weeks to recover from hemorrhoid surgery. I just didn't want to spread my germs (coughing and sneezing) to everyone around me.