Sunday, July 18, 2010

Symptom Update

I wrote the following letter to my new doc to report my current symptoms (or lack thereof):

A few days before I finished taking Iodoquinol for the d-frag parasite, I finally realized what caused my ongoing cramping pain. I noticed the discomfort increased after meals and decreased slightly before the next meal. So I researched Iodoquinol side effects and discovered that some sites actually listed abdominal cramping as a side effect. That was more specific that the general 'stomach pain', which I read on other websites. After I finished the Iodoquinol capsules, that cramping pain lingered through the next 2 days and began to diminish on the 3rd day. After 72 hours I felt almost no cramping pain. So I'm sure that symptom was a Iodoquinol side effect.

I've also noticed that I no longer bruise easily. I was in a bicycle/pedestrian accident a week ago, where I fell onto the concrete sidewalk and suffered several bumps and scrapes. Previously I would develop many bruises from such a fall. However, this time I didn't develop one bruise. I suspect the new high dose (50 billion bacteria per capsule) probiotics and the way I'm taking those (on an empty stomach) has finally increased my good bacteria to a normal level or at least high enough to make enough vitamin K so that I don't bruise as easily. I haven't developed one bruise since I started taking those probiotics.

I was previously advised to take probiotics with meals, which I now realize could have diminished the potency of those probiotics. Maybe that partly explains why I developed one gut bug infection after another, even though I took daily probiotics and even high dose probiotics after each antibacterial drug treatment. I also took probiotics when I took the HCl capsules (with meals), which may also have diminshed the probiotics' protency.

I still have some, infrequent intestinal discomfort, more like a charley horse than a cramp, when I take the probiotic capsules in the morning as well as before bed. I'm taking high dose probiotics to prevent another gut bug infection. Since I no longer have Iodoquinol side effect pain, I'll try skipping the morning probiotic capsule and observe whether I have any daytime abdominal discomfort. If that daytime discomfort continues, I may consider retesting for parasites, parasites, etc. However, I hope the Iodoquinol killed all the d-frag critters. I don't want to endure yet another painful treatment.

I'm still taking glutamine 2x daily and look forward to beginning HCl capsules next week. I seem to already have improved digestion (almost no gas or bloating now), perhaps because I have higher levels of good bacteria from taking the probiotics properly.

6 comments:

Claudi said...

I am glad you are feeling better :)

sue said...

Thanks, Claudia. I'm much more hopeful about recovering this time. I finally know why I kept getting those gut bugs, despite taking high dose probiotics during antibiotic (or antiparasitic) drug treatments. The WAY I took those probiotics (with meals as my former doctor recommended) decreased their potency. So I really didn't get as many probiotics as I could have, if I had taken those without food. I've noticed great improvement in digestion since I've taken probiotics without food.

tahoma94 said...

Hi there:

Can you please give me a clue as to which doctor is helping you at the Tahoma clinic? I was planning to call there next week to schedule an appt to address my 10 year battle with gastrointestinal problems.

So glad you're feeling better! That's encouraging.

Thanks,
K

sue said...

Hi K:
Yes, I need to approve every comment before it appears. Sorry for the confusion. :)

I'm seeing Dr. Wendy Ellis at the Tahoma Clinic. When you make an appointment, they ask you to complete the new patient history forms, which you can find online at their website. After you complete and return those forms, all the docs at the clinic meet and review your information. Then the doctor who best relates to your symptoms and specializes in your problems will take your case.

All the doctors at the Tahoma Clinic have been trained by Dr. Jonathon Wright and use his approach to resolving gastrointestinal problems. Have you read Dr. Wright's book "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You"?

I encourage you to call the clinic and make an appointment ASAP. Please feel free to ask me anything else about my experience at the clinic. Also let me know what happens and how you're doing. Good luck!

tahoma94 said...

Oh, so you don't get to make an appt with a specific doctor? They decide after reviewing the intake form? I was thinking about Dr Henchcliff, as I need hormone tweaking as well. Do you know anything about her?

Yes, I have the stomach acid book by Wright.

Regarding your treatment there, is it draining your wallet? Also, how's your pogress?

Thanks again, and do you have a personal email I can use to communicate with you?

K

sue said...

I didn't really ask for a specific doctor. They wanted to give me the doctor who best knew how to solve my 'medical mystery' (why I kept getting one gastrointestinal infection (bacteria, parasite or fungus) after another. However, I know that my doctor (Wendy Ellis) has worked lots with bioidentical hormone treatment. (I've never done any hormone stuff, because menopause was a nonevent for me, maybe because I have celiac disease and had very irregular or nonexistant periods, when I was not on b/c pills.)

I don't know Dr. Henchcliff. However, you can look at bios for each of the staff members on the tahoma clinic website. Nevertheless, if you want a specific doctor or don't like the one who sees you initially, I believe you can specify whom you want to see. I initially considered requesting Dr. Wright, but I was really glad to have a female doctor who had lots of experience with parasites. I REALLY like Dr. Ellis.

The cost of my initial one hour visit was comparable to most docs. The Heidelberg capsule test (for stomach acid production) cost $199. However I've only been to the clinic once. I email my doctor or call the clinic and speak to her assistant when I have questions. I actually don't plan to see my doc again until she moves to my area of Seattle into a Tahoma Clinic sattelite office in September.

I've posted on my blog about my progress. However, I realize I need to add an update. In short, I'm doing better and better. I'm not certain if the last treatment killed my parasite, but everything Dr. Ellis recommended killed the H. Pylori and healed my stomach to the point that I can again use HCl supplements. My stomach previously had 'ulcer' symptoms and such bad pain that I couldn't take HCl. I wasn't digesting very well at all. I had chronic bloating, gas and cramping pain. All except for a tiny bit of intermittent lower right quadrant pain, I feel almost normal now.

I thought my blog profile included my email address, but it doesn't. Email me at penguinea@hotmail.com

I'll post an update with more details about my progress now.