Friday, July 30, 2010

Dientamoeba or Appendicitis??

My lower right quadrant cramping pain has become more severe and constant each day. I researched appendicitis symptoms, which include cramping pain, bloating, and nausea. However, I have experienced this LRQ cramping pain since March or April this year, before I requested another stool test for parasites/bacteria. Treating the Dientamoeba Fragilis parasite with Alinia didn't decrease the pain. Treating with Humatin decreased the pain a bit, but that cramping pain returned almost immediately after I stopped taking the Humatin. Treating the d-frag with Iodoquinol seemed to decrease the pain. However Iodo had such horrible side effects (diffuse cramping pain, bloating and nausea) that I just wanted to get through the treatment. Also I had that accident, in which I suffered so many scrapes and bumps, that 'counter pain' distracted me from my gut pain. Nevertheless I noticed that LRQ pain slowly increased after ending treatment with Iodoquinol.

Before this morning I really suspected appencitis cause that LRQ pain. However this morning I also experienced lower left quadrant pain, nausea and more fatigue, which were my previous d-frag symptoms. So I've decided to ask my naturopathic doc to order that stool test to determine whether I still have d-frag or some new critter causing my symptoms. Before I can take that test, I'll need to refrain from digestive enzymes and probiotics for 3 days. I hate that requirement, because HCl supplements have really improved my digestion. Nevertheless, if I have a gut bug, I'll definitely want diagnosis with that test.

Meanwhile, I'll also consider calling my HMO (traditional) doc to determine whether I have signs (blood tests for inflammation markers and CT scans) of an inflammed appendix. At this point I still could have either problem. Inflammed appendix also causes nausea and bloating. If I could wave a magic wand, I'd like that LRQ pain to just disappear. My second choice would be to treat another gut infection. My last choice would be treating appendicitis or even removing the appendix. However, I want to know absolutely that my appendix is inflammed. I've read that most docs will remove a healthy appendix, to 'prevent future problems', even though a healthy appendix proves the pain was not caused by appendicitis.

2 comments:

Dermot Brennan said...

It is possible that reinfection occurs with d frag. If you live with a partner or kids they should be tested also. The testing using microbiology is not 100% - pcr is much more sensitive.

sue said...

No kids. Partner (husband) has no symptoms and no vulnerability to gut bugs. What is pcr? I used Metametrix DNA microbial stool test. That has accuratedly detected my other gut bugs (including H. Pylori and c-diff).

I decided not to retest and wait another month for results. I have obvious symptoms of d-frag (cramping pain, constipation, nausea, mucus in stool, headache) right now. I'll just request another Iodoquinol prescription when my doc's clinic reopens on Monday.