Friday, July 30, 2010

On Second Thought ...

After ordering another DNA Microbial Stool Test through my doc's assistant, I learned I won't have the test result for another 4 weeks. Meanwhile, if I do still have d-frag parasite infection, those critters can just flourish in my gut for about 7 weeks and cause all kinds of damage, not to mention horrible symptoms. During today my symptoms went from lower right quadrant pain to left quadrant pain, nausea, fatigue and headache. So I'm fairly certain I still have d-frag.

I emailed my doc (who's on vacation) and hopes she reads my email. On Monday I'll again speak to her assistant, but I'll request another prescriptioin for Iodoquinol treatment. As uncomfortable as I during at least 2 weeks of Iodo treatment, I know that's the most effective treatment for d-frag. So far this summer looks like another summer of gut symptoms, treatment with horrible side effects, end treatment, get recurrent symptoms, resume treatment, etc., etc. ad nauseam. No pun intended. I've had nausea both with and without treatment. Thank goodness for ginger tea, which relieves nausea.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

I saw your yahoo post this morning. :( I hope you get the meds soon and can treat this nasty until it goes away. Scary how these critters hang on!!

sue said...

Yup. That's exactly what happened with C-diff. Most docs don't know what to do with recurrent c-diff. So I googled the latest research and found pulse dosing. I don't know whether that would work with dientamoeba fragilis parasites. They don't produce spores like c-diff bacteria. They just burrow into the intestinal lining. Some people take a high fiber supplement like psyllium to 'scrub out' the parasites while taking an antiparasitic drug.

I sure don't want to spend another summer suffering side effects of drug treatments and/or symptoms of gut bugs. However, I'm looking at at least another 3 weeks of August of bloating, cramping pain and nausea if I take more Iodoquinol, which is supposed to be the best treatment available for d-frag.