Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Iodoquinol Side Effects

For the past almost 3 weeks I have suffered intestinal cramping pain that increases after meals and decreases slightly just before the next meal. I did not consider Iodoquinol, because my initial side effects of nausea and stomach discomfort disappeared when I took that drug mid meal, rather than before or after meals. I also had intestinal pain symptoms from the d-frag parasite before treatments. However, that pain was more localized (either left lower quadrant after bowel movements or right lower quadrant after meals). More recently I experienced bloating and diffuse intestinal pain (all over my lower abdomen), which almost disappeared overnight and then began immediately after every meal.

At one point I blamed that pain on the amount vitamin D I had been taking. After I stopped the vitamin D supplements and relied on daily walks in the sunshine for Vitamin D, I suspected my new probiotics caused the pain. However, I usually took the probiotic capsule before bed, not with meals.

I wrote my doctor and told her about that cramping pain symptom. She explained that was caused by "die off" from the d-frag parasite. However, I've NEVER experienced 'die off' symptoms while treating candida (a fungus) with Nystatin or while treating cryptosporidium (another parasite) with Alinia. I experienced initial side effects of Nystatin, which disappeared after a few days. I also experienced painful side effects from Alinia. However those did not disappear until after the 3 day Alinia treatment.

Ironically I didn't recall reading that Iodoquinol caused intestinal cramps. What I read was 'stomach' pain. I thought that meant the burning discomfort I could get if I didn't take Iodo with food. I never considered that medical websites would use the word 'stomach' to mean abdominal or intestinal area. How misleading! I know many people don't know the difference between their stomach area and their intestinal area, but I expected medical websites to differentiate those areas.

However, I today I reread several sites which listed Iodoquinol side effects. Several actually said 'abdominal CRAMPS' or lower abdominal pain, rather than stomach pain. So finally on the last day of taking Iodoquinol I realize that drug caused those debilitating intestinal cramps during the past 2+ weeks. I don't consider that 'die off'. I consider that a drug side effect. So I'm very glad that I only have to take one more Iodo capsule with dinner. Hopefully tomorrow morning I will begin to experience less and less pain. I've taken the new probiotics long enough to not experience much bloating or pain. I just hope Iodo killed all the d-frag critters.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

Are you still experiencing cramps? I am hoping you are pain free very soon. :)

sue said...

Thanks, Lisa. After 72 hours since I took my last Iodo, I finally notice much less cramping pain. Today I just have some bloating discomfort, but that's probably from the high dose probiotic I took when I first got up. I need to take extra probiotics now to prevent reinfection by something else. I'm still not sure I'm free of d-frag. If I continue to have pain after a few more days off Iodo, I may consider a repeat stool test, but just the bacteria/parasite portion.