Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Insight from Doctor Vent

After writing my previous treatment history and doctor vent post, I now understand why I hung on for so long to a doctor who didn't really care whether I got well. I have difficulty letting go of bad relationships. After such an abusive childhood with my mother, I considered my first husband a big improvement. He didn't yell at me all the time. He didn't hit me all the time. However, I missed all the signs that he controlled me, threatened me and used me. Likewise my last doctor was a big improvement over my HMO doctors who labeled my gut symptoms as 'IBS' and gave me an IBS diet sheet (which included foods I later learned were my allergens). So I ignored my feelings that my doc really didn't care about me, that he just treated my symptoms without looking for causes of my ongoing problems, and that he really didn't know how to treat my problems.

No comments: