Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Retest or Not?

Since I discovered I'd inadvertently been consuming soy through vitamin E pills, I've had increasing intestinal cramping pain. Although I stopped taking those pills after 4-5 days, my cramping symptoms did not disappear for another 3 weeks. Then I accidentally consumed another tiny bit of soy through a digestive enzyme. The label of that supplememt did not indicate any soy. However, my symptoms convinced me that I had consumed some soy. When I called the company, they confirmed that the product did contain a small amount of soy. After the first soy incident, I became even more sensitive to tiny amounts. So I continued to experience 'soy symptoms' (cramping pain and constipation) for another week or so.

However those symptoms have continued for another 2 weeks and increased in intensity, despite eliminating all sources of soy. At this point I wonder if I have another intestinal bug (bacteria, parasite or fungus) which causes my symptoms. I never retested after treating the achromobacter. So I don't know for certain whether I actually eliminated that bacteria by taking caprylic acid for 2 weeks. I thought I had less bacteria symptoms. However I also developed a lingering unproductive cough about that time.

I asked my mainstream doc about the cough. She checked my throat and lungs. She asked if I had any reflux. I told her that I had experienced more reflux. Previously taking HCl supplements had prevented reflux and improved digestion. However about the time I developed the cough I had recurrent burning reflux (from the HCl). Since my doc couldn't see any obvious cause of the cough, she told me to stop taking the HCl.

Immediately my reflux disappeared. However, the cough lingered. Anytime I didn't get adequate sleep, I seemed to develop cold symptoms (cough and sore throat). I felt a constant tickle in my throat, which coughing relieved. I coughed when I exercised or layed on the floor doing yoga or in bed before sleep. I wondered whether the achromobacter bacteria had infected my respiratory system, because doctors often find that bacteria in respiratory infections. So now I'm uncertain whether the cough is related to irritation from reflux or achromobacter infection.

Meanwhile the cramping pain continues after every meal. About 4 hours after eating the cramping pain seems to subside just before I get hungry and need to eat again. I suspect something is irritating my intestines. I don't think I'm getting any allergen contamination. So I may need to do another DNA Microbial stool test to determine whether an intestinal 'bug' is causing my symptoms.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello -- I just found your website. I'm reading Geneen Roth's book "Breaking Free from Emotional Eating." I've done the intuitive eating method before with a lot of success, and decided to check it out again, but I too have issues with gluten. I'm curious what you have found that works with the frustration of being hungry, wanting something you know you can't have become of your gluten issues, and then just being more frustrated because it is all you want? there are some things, like donuts or McDonald's nuggets, just aren't the same gluten free. And I find that aspect pushing me into resentment, which sort of screws up the balance of IE! :) Just curious what you have found to cope.

thanks!

sue said...

Hi Ally: Besides gluten intolerance I'm also allergic to dairy, eggs, soy, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. However, I have no problem abstaining from any allergen containing foods (except cane sugar), because thay all cause gut pain, bloating, gas and irregularity. (Cane sugar causes at least 48 hours of tachycardia plus nausea.) I hate the pain and bloating. So I find substitutes for foods that contain my allergens.

I learned soon after my celiac diagnosis that there are many gluten free grains and products. So I can buy or make just about any grain containing food I might want. However the other allergies were a bit more challenging. I couldn't sub soy products for dairy, because of soy allergies. Although I can use egg subsitutes for baking and cooking, I sometimes miss eggs (omlettes, fried, etc.). However I explored many other cuisines (Middle Eastern, Asian, Latin) when I first was diagnosed with CD. So I discovered many new favorite foods and liked those better than the allergy containing foods which caused so much pain.

If you don't have obvious physical (painful gut) symptoms from gluten intolerance, you may have more difficulty abstaining from gluten containing products. However, the other symptoms like joint pain, headache, brain fog, etc. are just as debilitating. So I wouldn't want to risk experiencing painful allergen reactions or permant intestinal damage from eating allergens.

Over the past 6 years since my CD diagnosis, I've learned that there are all kinds of safe and tasty foods. I just had to invest my energy in finding healthy, delicious foods, rather than focussing on what I couldn't eat.

Also after eating intuitively for 8years, food isn't all that important to me any more. I eat when I'm so hungry that I can't focus on other (more interesting) activities and stop eating before I feel uncomfortably full. I've had enough gut pain to last a lifetime. I certainly don't want to cause unnecessary pain by overeating.