Sunday, May 16, 2010

Full Circle with HCl

In mid February my mainstream doc suggested I abstain from HCl capsules to preven the reflux which she believed caused my chronic cough. After I decided to abstain from HCl capsules, I immediately noticed digestive difficulties. 3 months later even small meals seemed to stay at the top of my stomach and not digest for hours. Meals containing meat took even longer to digest.

Then I observed my fingernail ridges increase and worsen. While on HCl caps I only had ridges on my ring fingernails. After abstaining from HCl for 3 months I had ridges on all but 2 of my 10 fingernails. I was constantly tired (possibly iron or vitamin B-12 deficiency, both caused by hypochloridia). Worst of all I developed riboflavin deficiency symptoms (cuts and sores in the corners of my mouth and the sensation of sand in my eyes). I developed those symptoms despite taking 50 mg of balanced B vitamins at every meal. I also developed chronic constipation, despite taking magnesium and probiotics. I could live with the fingernail problems, irregularity, digestive challenges and fatigue, but the mouth pain was worsening daily.

So I decided to slowly resume taking HCl capsules. First I took one with dinner (when I most often ate meat). I had no reflux or even burning sensations. After a few days I tried 2 capsules with a high protein (meat) meal. However, I suffered a slight burning sensation in my stomach. So I decided to stay with just one capsule for awhile. Meanwhile the mouth sores continued. So I tried taking one capsule with each meal for a day. Then I increased to 2 capsules at dinner and one capsule and vegan or smaller meat portion meals.

After a few days of HCl at every meal, the mouth sores FINALLY disappeared. I also stayed awake during the sermon at tonight's church service. I realize the nail problems will take longer to resolve, because nails grow rather slowly. Best of all, the constipation disappeared as well as the gut cramps. Now I wonder whether the gastro symptoms, which influenced me to do another DNA Microbial stool test, were really caused by magnesium and B vitamin malabsorption, caused by low stomach acid.

Did the cough ever disappear during the 3 months I abstained from HCl? NOPE! Whenever I got tired, I felt that throat tickle and coughed. However, during the past week while taking small amounts of HCl, the cough decreased. Maybe the reflux aggravated my throat and caused the tenderness (throat tickle) that made me cough. However that doesn't explain why I suddenly refluxed after several years of not refluxing while taking HCl.

I suspect that vomitting 4 times, between January and March may have relaxed my lower esophageal valve (LEV) enough to allow more frequent reflux. Maybe I ate more LEV relaxing foods during that time. Maybe I overate (which also causes reflux). Whatever happened to cause the reflux, I'm not experiencing any reflux now while taking HCl even when I eat LEV relaxer foods (citrus, chocolate, tomatoes, etc.) Nevertheless, I plan to slowly increase amounts of HCl. I don't think I can ever take the recommended (for adults) dose of 5-7 capsules per meal. However, what I eat for 'meals' many people might consider a 'snack'. Dr. Wright (who wrote "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You") suggests that individuals work out what amounts work best for them. So they may take less acid with smaller meals. I don't think I need much acid with meals which are low in protein and fats, but need more with higher protein/fat meals, because those are most difficult to digest.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I really hope my DNA microbial test comes back negative for 'gut bugs' and positive for high levels of good bacteria. I really would like to see a 'clean and healthy' test for once. I would love to resolve the cramps, bloating and irregularity simply by taking HCl caps with meals. Already the cramps have decreased, while the bloating and irregularity completely disappeared.

I need to add that I no longer post here regularly, because I limit my online time to 'toenail treatment' (soaking in Listerine) for 10-30 minutes daily. That gives me sooo much more time for sewing, gardening and enjoying the sunshine! My toenails are no longer thickening (with fungal growth) which caused pressure pain. I haven't noticed a lot of new healthy growth, but I see more pink and less yellow in the nail bed. I suspect I'll have to continue this treatment for more than 2 months. I've suffered toenail fungus for over 10 years now. Nevertheless, I've resolved other physical problems which my mainstream doc didn't know how to treat. Maybe I can resolve this one, too.

No comments: