Monday, February 22, 2010

Acid Reflux???

I want to post an update for the one?? reader of this blog, before I decide to delete this blog, as I have deleted 6 previous blogs, after I became tired of blogging. So here's the latest on the persistent cough/fatigue symptoms:

I awoke after 9 hours of sleep feeling really good on the morning of my doctor appointment. So I didn't think I had a cold or flu or anything to exacerbate my cough. I almost cancelled my appointment with my doc. However, I had suffered that tickling cough for over 3 months and wanted to consult my doctor about those symptoms.

During my walk to the clinic, I again experienced acid reflux, even though I had not eaten foods that exacerbate reflux. However I did take my usual HCl (betaine hydrochloride) digestive supplement and zinc (to increase immune response to fight a cold) with my lunch. Then I realized that the reflux might cause the cough. When I first began to take HCl several years ago, that eliminated my reflux and really helped digestion. However, while I was taking vancomycin HCl for c-diff, I experienced more problems with reflux and tried to reduce the amount of HCl I took, because the vanco also contained HCl. Maybe my digestive difficulties were more related to having gut infections than depleted HCl in my stomach. I did seem to have one gut infection after another for several years. My husband thought that maybe taking HCl for a few years 'primed' my stomach to make enough of its own. Now HCl seems to be doing more harm than good now.

At my appointment, my doc examined my throat and listened to my lungs while breathing. She didn't notice anything. Then she recommended a chest x-ray. She also asked me about reflux. So I shared what I just wrote about my HCl experience. She said that acid reflux would cause the throat tickle and cough. If I refluxed a bit into my bronchial tubes, that would cause the asthma like symptoms I had (difficulty taking deep breaths without coughing and coughing more when breathing cold air). My doc and I both agreed that I should stop taking HCl. I'm tired of having to take digestive enzymes every time I eat proteins or fats. I would love to be able to eat whenever I'm hungry, whatever satisfies me, without worrying about digestion. Maybe getting rid of all those gut bugs while taking oodles of probiotics finally resolved my digestive problems. So now I don't need digestive supplements.

The lung x-ray was clear (no signs of tb or pneumonia). However, I still have the throat tickle and cough, but I suspect few more days without acid supplements reflux will heal my throat. On my way to my doc's clinic, when I realized the reflux irritated my throat and caused the cough, I worried about getting esophageal cancer from reflux. Thank God this cough to made me stop taking HCl to avoid, while I also avoid foods which weaken the lower esophageal valve and cause reflux.

After a week of no HCl supplements, I still have a slight throat tickle and cough. I still seem to need 8-9 hours of sleep. However, I noticed decreased tickle and cough. So I will continue eating meals without digestive supplements for awhile.

I seem to have gone full circle now ... from taking acid blocking drugs for 'gastritis' to abstaining from those drugs because I suspected overeating caused my reflux to digestive difficulties before my CD and food allergies were diagnosed ... to taking enzymes to assist digestion to taking betaine hydrochloride capsules to supplement digestion of meats and fats ... to eliminating digestive enzymes to avoid acid reflux. Maybe the betaine hydrochloride 'primed' my stomach to produce more of its own acid. However, I've also read in Jonathon Wright's "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" that certain foods, not too much (or even too little acid) can cause the lower esophageal valve to relax and let acid reflux into the esophagus. Nevertheless, even abstaining from those foods won't help if I take more acid than I actually need. So I'll focus on eating no more than I need to satisfy hunger, when I'm hungry and trust my stomach to do its job.

4 comments:

Claudi said...

I know how you feel about the blogging, I feel like you I get tired of writing ...especially when it is always the same....
hope you get better soon
Claudia, by the way I decisded that if I can't or better won't control overeating I need to just burn more during the day, It will keep me fit and maybe not as bored
and I won't feel guilty eating sometimes a bit more...I know its not the best way to fight emotional eating but thats the best I can do for right now ... still better than throwing up and my blood pressure will go down do to the exercise
take care
love Claudia

sue said...

Thanks, Claudia. Now I know that at least 2 people read this blog. I guess I should be glad this blog is relatively private. So I won't be afraid to post really embarassing stuff. Maybe most people don't want to read about my intestinal disorder saga. LOL

I agree. Compensating for excess calories by exercising is less dangerous to your body than vomiting. Some 'experts' would consider exercise 'purging'. However, many normal eaters exercise to burn off calories. Besides we need daily exercise to stay healthy. Like I always tell my husband, "You eat 3 times a day. You can at least exercise once a day." LOL

Michael said...

I just now discovered your blog and wish you would continue.. I'm taking a similar route in my life and just not sure if supplementing HCl is a good idea. On my first try, I'm refluxing worse that I have for some time. I wonder if having the LPR reflux just makes it not a good idea. the throat is too sensitive for this sort of experimentation.

sue said...

I did continue my blog, which I updated in November 2012. However, I'm uncertain whether I explained why I had difficulty with reflux and HCl in 2012 when I posted this topic.

After my mainstream doc told me to stop taking my HCl, I went to my naturopath and got a stool test for gut bugs. That test diagnosed Helicobacter Pylorum, which causes stomach ulcers. That explained why I experienced burning when I took HCl, after several years of no problems taking HCl. She also gave me the Heidelberg Capsule test, which showed my stomach produced insufficient acid for proper digestion. Insufficient acid also explained why I kept getting 'gut bugs'. (I was also dx'd with dientamoeba fragilis by the stool test that caught HP.) W/o sufficient acid the stomach doesn't kill food born bacteria, which can then go straight to the intestines and proliferate.

My doc also told me to abstain from HCl while I treated my HP (with mastic gum and L-glutamine). After 6 weeks of treatment, I resumed HCl at a very low dose (1 per meal). Over the past 2 years I slowly raised my per meal dose to 4 per meal. I have no reflux now (unless I eat/drink foods which relax the esophageal valve) and digest well.

Try reading my more recent posts in 2012 for more health info. (I haven't had any new gut bugs since treating HP and d-frag, probably because I have sufficient stomach acid now with HCl supplements.)

I suggest you get a Heidelberg capsule test from a naturopath who knows about Jonathon Wright's work at the Tahoma Clinic in WA. That will show whether you actually need HCl supplementation. If not, you may have gluten intolerance or other delayed reaction allergies which cause indigestion. Even 'gut bugs' can cause indigestion. Alternatively, you may be eating foods which cause the lower esophageal valve to relax at inappropriate times.