Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Springlike Winter Break

While the rest of the country battled snow and wintry weather, Seattle had several days of warm sunny weather, which ended yesterday. However, during that warm stretch, my husband prepared our vegie garden beds. He did soil tests for nutrient levels and added nutrients which were deficient. Then I planted sugar snap peas, carrots, lettuce, onions and kale. I also started some broccoli in indoor pots. So I'll transplant them after they become sturdy little plants. I'm so pleased that we actually planted our cold weather vegies in February, rather than late April, this year.

I noticed the brocolli seedlings are already sprouting in their indoor pots. However, I plan to closely watch the outdoor vegie seedlings, because our local feathered friends often pull up the little sprouts as they appear. The birds don't really eat the vegie sprouts. They just like to peck at things. I actually suspect the pigeons, rather than the songbirds, are the pecking culprits. So we will cover out little vegie sprouts with wire net as soon as they appear. Hopefully we can prevent the peck and pull birds from destroying our garden vegies.

As often happens in Seattle, cold rainy weather quickly replaced the warm, springlike weather. So I didn't water any of our seedlings, because I knew the cold, rainy weather would soon return. Unfortunately, getting cold and wet a few times, just exacerbated my cold symptoms. So today I have a full blown cold. Fortunately, I finished caprylic acid treatment and began high probiotic treatment before I got upper respiratory discomfort.

No comments: