Friday, February 5, 2010

Birthday Update

After my prebirthday pity party post, I want to describe how we actually celebrated my birthday on Wednesday. By then I had realized and processed the thoughts which influenced my previous frustration and hopelessness. So I actually wanted to celebrate on my birthday. My husband stayed home from work to celebrate my day. He surprised me with a bouquet of tulips in various shades of reds and oranges, my favorite colors. On the kitchen counter he place a bowl of red grapes, one of my favorite fruits, a bowl of blueberries, which I often put on my breakfast muffin with peanut butter, 2 presents and a card. So I was pleasantly surprised and ate about half the grapes immediately LOL.

Per usual, Seattle weather surprised us. Although a dry cloudy day was predicted, heavy rain began that morning and continued all day long. So we had cold rainy weather all day. At one point I talked to my husband bout taking a 'rain check' until I felt physically better (I had some cold symptoms as well as my gut symptoms). However, I know I can't rely on Seattle weather or my physical wellbeing or freedom from painful symptoms from one day to the next. So we decided to make the best of the day.

We took the bus into Seattle. (We both have cars, but I prefer the bus during the day. So we can talk and snuggle during the ride.) We did some hurried shopping at Banana Republic (for which we had 3 discount coupons) and H&M, my alltime favorite store. Then we went to a nearby theatre and saw "The Princess and the Frog". That movie was the highlight of my day. I enjoyed the characters, the romance, the comedy, the color, the songs, the dancing and that outstanding Disney classic story. After the movie we returned to shopping and I selected a few garments. We had planned to stop at a local organic grocery to pick up dinner from the deli. However, I was too cold and tired to get off the bus early. So we went home and I microwaved some leftovers which appealed to me. We also enjoyed some of our homemade (vegan) pumpkin ice cream (made from one of our Halloween pumpkins).

After dinner I returned a birthday phone call from a friend and talked for at least an hour before going to bed. All in all I was glad we decided to celebrate on my actual birthday. Besides Valentine's Day will occur in another 10 days. So we can do more celebrating on that day.

1 comment:

Gothic Writer said...

Aw, so glad your birthday was not a pity party, Sue. And happy birthday! :) Sounds like your hubby made it special for you and that it was a special time...

I, too, am looking forward to Valentine's weekend. We have a sitter for that evening and are looking forward to it since hubby's work is crazy stressful right now. lol.