Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Thoughts

This year we've simplified Thanksgiving dinner. Instead of making 'stuffing', we followed a recipe which uses chopped apples and onions to 'stuff' the turkey. We limited side dishes to 3, which are brussel sprouts (my favorite), corn (necessary for my husband) and yams (we both like). Instead of dessert, we'll just enjoy some nonalcoholic wine with dinner. If we want dessert later, we still have my husband's birthday carrot cake with orange/peach/ginger icing. YUMMEEE!!

Rather than eating later in the day, we're trying to have a mid afternoon meal. I'm usually hungry midday and not as hungry by evening, when I'm just tired and want to go to bed. Also we will have time and space after dinner to begin a new jigsaw puzzle on the dining room table. Hopefully we will finish that puzzle before we need the table for Christmas dinner. LOL

Rather than trying to fit in exercise sometime between food preparation or after dinner before darkness falls, we walked after breakfast this morning. I also prepared as much food as I could during the previous 2 days. So we only had to season and stuff the turkey and cook that along with the vegies. (I made cranberry relish 2 days ago to intensify the flavor.)

With simpler dinner preparation, we have more time to focus on the 'thanks' or gratitude part of Thanksgiving. So today I feel grateful for the following:

(1) I finally know how to eat normally any food that feels good (doesn't cause allergic reactions) in my body. Whether that food is considered 'healthy', high fat, high sugar, or whatever, I can listen to my body cues of hunger, satisfaction, fullness and comfort to tell me when, what and how much to eat. I no longer fear 'losing control' or overeating. I can easily maintain my ideal weight by eating intuitively.

(2) I feel healthy, even though I don't know whether 7 months of treatment has completely eradicated all my c-diff 'spores', and have none of the usual 'life style' maladies which plague people my age.

(3) I feel blessed by financial security, a house without a mortgage, an adequate health insurance plan, enough 'classic' clothes which flatter my figure, no matter what fashion dictates, and time to do whatever I want.

(4) I am continuing to learn and grow in my relationship with my husband, who has both taught me and learned from me during the past 15 years of our marriage.

(5) God's grace, both through salvation for the afterlife, and His daily presence, pardon and provision for my health and well-being in this life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving plan, I hope you had a nice time. I know this is a celebration that many families invest a lot of time in, and it often results in overeating.
My parents don't really celebrate Thanksgiving, but with all the food my mom cooks it's Thanksgiving everyday at my house...
I feel I've been eating too much this week because of the extended weekend.
Your post motivates me to try to think of a list of all the things I am thankful for.

Gothic Writer said...

I enjoyed reading your list. Your Thanksgiving Day sounds yummy!

sue said...

Thanks, Olia and Lisa. We enjoyed our Thanksgiving dinner so much that we froze 12 individual dinners from the same foods. LOL Actually I always plan to freeze individual dinners from leftovers. After spending a long time cooking and several days of preparation before Thanksgiving, I want to enjoy just microwaving some frozen dinners for 6 days.

My husband dishes up his 'to be frozen' dinners and I dish up my own. So we each have the amounts of each dish we want to eat as 'reruns' for at least 6 more times. Of course, I try to serve those only once a weeks thereafter. So we don't get sick of Thanksgiving leftovers. LOL