Saturday, November 28, 2009

Reactions to Food, Inc.

Last night we finished watching the Netflix DVD of the documentary "Food, Inc." I was both shocked by what I saw and embarrassed because I didn't know how big food companies controlled how farmers raised animals and plant crops for maximum yield in minimum time. Ironically before I watched that DVD, I had read a "Consumer Reports" article about how most raw chicken meat in this country contained high amounts of salmonella and campylobacter. As someone who has struggled with several intestinal bacterial infections, that article introduced me to what I saw in 'Food, Inc.'

I was most shocked to see how farmers for huge poultry conglomerates raised chickens for slaughter. Multitudes of chickens were crowded into chicken houses with overhead feed mechanisms. So the chickens ate and defecated in the same area with little room to even move. So they constantly stood and layed in their excrement. If one chicken developed bacterial infections, they all got the same bacteria. Furthermore, they were fed antibiotics purportedly to keep them healthy. However those antibiotics sped up the growth rate and helped develop heavier birds. Many birds were so heavy they had difficulty walking or even standing. Heavier, sick birds died and lay in the coop with the healthy ones until the 'gatherers' came to take the chickens to market.

I won't describe the inhumane treatment of those chickens during that 'gathering' process, because they would be killed for market anyway. However that 'treatment' just increased the possibility of bacterial infection. Of course the poultry industry warns us to thoroughly cook poultry to kill the bacteria, as well as sterilize any utensils or cutting boards used in preparation. However, the presence of those salmonella and campylobacter bacteria in most chickens says the antibiotics in the chicken feed don't eliminate those bacteria. The antibiotics just create bigger, heavier chickens which can barely walk. Then we consume unnecessary antibiotics, which can make our bodies resistant to those antibiotics, should we ever need those drugs to fight an infection.

Then I watched how cows were raised for slaughter and saw similar situations where cows were crowded together and covered with their excrement. If one cow got bacteria, they all were susceptible. I never have liked beef that much anyway. So that portion of the documentary turned me completely against buying big name brand 'beef'.

However, we began watching that documentary a day after Thanksgiving. We had purchased and baked an organic, free range turkey from our local Puget Consumers Coop, mainly because they don't add sugar to their turkeys. However I had previous purchased some Foster Farms chicken drumsticks. The Consumer Reports article study showed that 'FF' chickens rated high salmonella and campylobacter. Those cute chicken commercials don't tell the whole story.

Another part of the documentary showed how big food industries (specifically corn and soybean) controlled how the farmers raised their crops. I don't eat soy anyway because I have a diagnosed allergy to soy. After my husband previously had a suspicious thyroid nodule, he also limits how much soy he consumes. However we both consume products made from corn, because we abstain from gluten to avoid gluten intolerance and celiac reactions.

My first reaction to the documentary was to decide to go 'vegan' and not eat any more meat. Then I recalled how difficult a vegan diet can be without soy, which we can't eat. So I decided to use only vegan protein combinations (like legumes and grains or legumes and nuts or seed) PLUS fish. Then my husband and I discussed whether we could find any 'free range', humanely handled, locally grown poultry. We will look for those 'labels' the next time we go to PCC or even Whole Foods. However, I doubt we will find many poultry products with those labels. I don't care whether I ever eat beef again.

I was pleased and intrigued by the suggestions at the end of the documentary about how to fight big food conglomerates' hold on farmers and prevent illness from store bought meat or other food products. In another post I will describe what the Food Inc. documentary suggested to avoid supporting big food glomerate tactics. I will also comment on what we already do.

3 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

I have not yet seen this, but I have seen footage of how the animals are raised. It has made me more aware, and there are companies I will NOT buy from now-- Pilgrim's Pride, for example. I am trying to make changes over time and eat more chicken and fish that is farmed in a green way. My breakfasts are ovo-lacto vegetarian I guess... with only whey protein, soy protein, and/or almond milk and nut butters as a source of protein. I don't ever plan on going vegetarian or vegan, though. I feel good when I eat mostly chicken, fish, shake for most of my meals. I sometimes sub. beans for part of the protein as well. There are a lot more steps I can take in the future as your other posts mentioned. Thanks for the ideas...a lot for me to think about.

sue said...

Hi Lisa:
We don't intend to go totally vegan. We just want to increase our vegan dinners from once a week to twice or more a week. I already eat vegan breakfasts and some vegan lunches.

I can't go 'vegetarian' (lacto/ovo), because 2 of my 7 food allergies are dairy and eggs. I used to joke that I was a 'meat eating' vegan (because I abstained from dairy and eggs). However during the past 5 years I've found more vegan foods that I enjoy.

I don't notice any difference in energy level between when I eat meat based protein and vegan protein combination foods. However, I'm very careful to combinge legumes with either grains or nuts or seeds to get the complete amino acids necessary to assimilate protein. Have you read "Diet for a Small Planet", which tells you how to combine non meat protein sources for complete amino acid protein foods? If not, you might enjoy reading that.

sue said...

Ha Ha!! That was supposed to be 'combine legumes', not COMBINGE legumes. LOL I could never binge on beans. LOL