Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bad Hair Month?

I wear my thick hair in a short pixie cut. So I need a trim every 6-12 weeks, depending on how my stylist did the previous trim, the weather (longer hair in colder weather), and how much time I want to spend styling my hair every morning. Yesterday was 10 weeks after my previous cut, which I considered 'perfect', with longer sides and back, but shorter top and bangs. I actually dreaded getting a trim, because the weather will turn colder this weekend. Yet I wanted a trim before Easter. So I kept my appointment (after rescheduling my previous week's appointment) and succumbed to my stylist's scissors.

She warned me that I may be shocked by the change, after I requested at least an inch off the top. Unfortunately I didn't specify the EXACT length of the hair in front of my ears or on my neck in back. My ears are long, not little delicate ears which look great with pixie cuts. So I need longer hair in front of my ears to balance my ear length. I also have a long neck, so I need longer hair on my neck to balance that length. So when I saw the 'finished' cut I WAS shocked. I didn't understand why the cut looked so 'masculine' (translate SHORT) until I looked at it again in a grocery store restroom. To my horror I saw that my stylist created the OPPOSITE of what I wanted: LONG on top and very short on the sides and back.

I can't ask my stylist to 'fix' the sides and back (she can't stretch short hair), although I could ask her to trim the top shorter to match the shorter parts. However, before the cut I asked her to not thin the top or cut it too short, because I still anticipated cold weather and needed thicker hair for warmth. I must have assumed that she would not cut the back and sides so short. SILLY ME! I now know that I need to tell my stylist (or mark on my face and neck) the EXACT length I want the sides and back of my hair, because my vision of my hair won't necessarily match my stylist's vision.

The extremely short sides and back appear at least 1/2 inch shorter than I prefer. Since my hair grows about 1/2 inch per month, I will have to endure this style for at least a month. The short sides and thick top make my face look very round, rather than its true oval shape. Very short hair can also make me look more masculine than feminine. I HATE THIS CUT!!!! However, I take full responsibility for what I told and what I failed to tell my stylist. So I'll just have to live with this cut as it grows out. I may wait 3 months until the next cut, because I won't like this cut for at least a month.

Fortunately with Seattle's cool spring, I can wear hats everytime I go out. Unfortunately almost NOBODY wears hats to our church service, even Easter services. So my choice to get a hair trim to look better on Easter totally backfired. I think I look much WORSE than I looked with my longer shaggier style. I'll just have to smile and confidently wear this too short pixie tomorrow. Easter is a good day to focus on other people and forget about my appearance for awhile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to come visit me and get my hubby to fix your hair. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue:

I'm so sad for you, I can relate to what it's like to have a "bad hair month." And of all days, I'm so sorry that your visit to the stylist did not make you feel prettier like you wanted. I must admit though, your recount of the events made me giggle a bit because you chose a humorous way to retell what happened to your hair. But trust me I am not laughing at your misfortune, I just think it's wonderful that you are still high in spirits despite this hair "accident." It's great that you didn't let the stylist cut off your sense of humor ;)

Every time you talk about your hair, and how stressful it is to style it the way you want (or make sure the person with the scissors knows what YOUR vision is) I'm reminded of my own hair "accidents," especially from two years ago.
I'm quite content with my hair right now, it is long enough to touch my shoulders and if I want I can tie it back (though I don't like that so I just tuck it behind my ears if it's in the way).
I remember it was either in October or November that I was unhappy with my hair (because it grew back and the length wasn't symmetrical) so I cut my own bangs. That turned out to be a disaster and I felt awful, so I went to the cheapest hair salon and explained the "accident" to which the stylist replied "Next time you feel stressed you might want to stay away from the scissors" and I said "I know, I just couldn't stop" to which the reply was "Maybe you should go shopping instead." Anyway, so that was the last time I had my hair trimmed and now I just trim the bangs myself (but just a little bit) to prevent any hair disasters.

I'm sure you probably remember all my hair experiments from last year and the year before. I went from having shoulder length hair, then cutting it like a bob (which made my face look like a tomato decorated with a helmet on top). Then the same thing happened to me, as it did now to you, where the stylist cut the sides very short but left the back longer. It looked fine until I washed it and then I looked like I had a mullet. Then I had that "fixed" which meant I cut off the back length and ended up looking very masculine (little children would refer to me as "dude" and one time a man on the street said "hey man, can you spare some change"
Basically those were the years when I looked like I had some sort of identity crisis, my friend would often joke and say that I looked like a pretty boy.

I'm much happier now with my more feminine looking hair. I think having that short pixie cut was only good for me at the time when I felt the need to isolate myself, it made me feel like I was masculine and unattractive.
Now I like to think of my hair as something that hides my insecurities.

I hope me sharing this with you lightens your mood, don't worry Sue it's just hair and it will grow back. (And maybe you're suggestion of drawing the lines on your head to show the stylist how short she can cut is a good idea after all).
Oh and by the way, I don't believe that you look "worse." I've seen photos of you when you had very short hair, and you always looked elegant. It's not your hair that makes you look nice, I hope this doesn't sound too cheesy but it's the smile and sparkle in your eyes.

Happy Easter !

Olia

sue said...

Thanks, April, that sounds VERY tempting. However that's a LONG trip from Seattle, probably involving an overnight stay. I don't think you could accomodate our dozen or so food allergies, more sensitivities and even worse 'picky' eating habits. LOL

Besides nobody will be 'fixing' my hair for at about 3 months after it grows out enough to start over. I may return to my current hairdresser with lipstick lines across my forehead, neck and in front of my ears to show her the length I want/need there. Even when she sometimes cuts my hair toooo short, I can save $$, because I can go 12 weeks between cuts.

sue said...

Thanks, Olia, for your empathy. Sounds like you've had your share of bad hair days, too. I recall seeing you in photos with weird hair cuts. I'm glad you giggled while reading my post. I felt more 'sarcasm' (angry humor?) than 'high spirits' while writing that post.

Actually Richard heard the worst of my anger, as I 'bitched' all day about the cut, my hairdresser and my failure to communicate how long I wanted the cut. I was just as angry at myself as I was at my stylist. However, I got mad at Richard, because I told him over the phone (before he saw me) that the cut was too short. The first thing he said when he saw me was "That's kinda cute." I eventually blew up, after realizing he was trying to cheer me up. I didn't want to be 'cheered' up. I wanted to get really mad. Poor guy! I know he wanted to make me feel better, but I wasn't having any of that. LOL

After I showered, washed and styled my hair a little differently than my stylist had done, I liked my cut a teeny bit better. However, I also discovered I have MANY hats, some I made, some I bought as souveniers of places I visited. I must have endured quite a few previous 'too short' cuts, because I accumulated many hats over the years. I suspect my habit of going almost 3 months between cuts (to save $$$) makes me request short cuts and then regret them afterwards. I do like short hair in Maui, where it's hot, but I don't like short hair in 40-50 degree, rainy, windy Seattle weather, like we had today and will have for a few more days.

Oh well, it's just hair. Fortunately my hair grows back quickly and thickly. Until then, I'm wearing hats! LOL