Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Reverse T3 and T3 Only Therapy

My husband has been taking Naturethroid (so called 'natural') thyroid supplement for about a year. He increased his dose but still has symptoms (extreme afternoon fatigue and brain fog). He resumed using caffeine pills (he hates the taste of coffee) to get through the day. I know his thyroid supplement isn't working for him. However, I also know he had a rather high blood test result for reverse T3.

So I did some research on reverse T3. I learned that disproportionate amounts of reverse T3 can block T3 receptors so that T3 supplements can't treat hypothyroid symptoms. Normally T4 converts into 40% T3 and 60% reverse T3. However, if the proportion of Reverse T3 (RT3) is higher than normal, all that RT3 can block T3 receptors and prevent normal metabolism (energy, body temperature, regularity). So I asked my husband to get another set of thyroid blood tests including his RT3.

He hasn't yet received his RT3 test result. However, my research on RT3 made me wonder if I might have that problem. I learned that treatment for RT3 involved stopping all therapy involving T4 and just using T3. During the past 15 months of my hypothyroid treatment, I initially took T4 only supplements, which did nothing to relieve my hypothyroid symptoms. So I asked for a T3 test, which showed my free T3 was below normal, and then requested a T3 supplement in addition to my T4 supplement.

My initial dose of T3 relieved my hypothyroid symptoms. I was warmer, more energetic and more regular. Then my hypo symptoms returned ... fatigue, feeling cold more often and constipation. So my increased my T3 dose and decreased my T4. That helped to resolved my hypo symptoms. However my next blood test showed my T4 levels were low, which concerned my doc. I asked why worry, because I obviously didn't convert T4 to T3 very easily, which was why I didn't do well on T4 only therapy. My doc explained that I had some T3, although it was very low, which suggested I converted some T4 to T3. (However I've since learned that the thryoid gland does produce a small amount of T3, outside of T4 conversion.)

So I increased my T4 again, while keeping the same T3 dose. Then all my hypothyroid symptoms returned. So I increased my T3 and decreased my T4 (but just took a half dose). Again that combo decreased my hypo symptoms ... for awhile. Then after a few weeks on that dose (25 mcg total daily T3, 50 mcg total T4), I again experienced constant fatigue, chills and constipation. So I slowly increased my T4 to 30 daily and kept my T4 at 25 daily. I had taken divided doses of T3 (early morning and mid afternoon) for almost a year, but was still experiencing afternoon energy crash. When my symptoms returned on 25 T3 and 50 T4, I raised my T3 to 30mcg daily and later to 35mcg daily. I never had any overdose (hyperthyroid) symptoms, but I feared getting those when I was using 30+mcg of T3. So I lowered my T4 to 25mcg. I really doubted it helped much anyway. Again my hypo symptoms disappeared for awhile, but I still had the afternoon energy crash. My doc had told me that T4 would carry me through the day so that I wouldn't get that afternoon slump. So I increased my T4 back to 50mcg and continued the T3 at 35mcg. Again my hypo symptoms returned. I kept thinking I just didn't have a high enough T3 dose, even though lower doses had worked for awhile.

After I read that the treatment for excessive RT3 was taking T3 only, because T4 produced both T3 and reverse T3, I wondered whether I also had an RT3 problem. My doc never tested my RT3. However, my initial free T4 test was normal, but my free T3 test was low even after taking T4 supplements for 3 months. I thought I didn't easily convert T4 to T3. However, my experience showed that every time I took T4 with T3 I had to keep raising the T3 dose. I didn't know whether an RT3 test would be accurate at this point (after 15 months of thyroid supplements).

So I just decided to stop taking T4. I also decided to take my T3 doses 3-4x daily rather than twice daily. The first day of 4 doses was a disaster, because I took my 4th dose too late at night and didn't sleep until 8 hours after I took that last T3 dose. Then I decided I really didn't want a nighttime dose, which could interfere with my sleep. So I started taking 3 even doses of T3 at 7am, 11am and 3pm (4 hours apart). That has worked well for the past 3 days. My energy level is even all day until bedtime when I start feeling sleepy. Then I sleep very soundly all night. Also I've been very regular while taking less magnesium than I previously took. I'm still getting cold sometimes. However the weather did turn really cold and I haven't dress differently for that colder weather. Nevertheless I'll keep using this triple T3 dose approach with no T4.

According to the RT3 literature, after 8-12 weeks I may even need less T3 to prevent hypo symptoms. Whatever ... I'm happy to finally prevent my afternoon energy crash, keep warm and stay regular on the same dose for awhile.

6 comments:

greatbleuheron said...

Hi Sue,

I've been following your blog for a while because we have some of the same issues and I've found your journey fascinating. . . but this is my first time posting.

I too have a bad case of RT3, and have been taking Armour for it, for about eighteen months now. Like you, I have still been feeling overtired, but taking more Armour produces hyperthyroid symptoms. You may very well have given me the key to my problem in today's post. I finally get to see a university hospital endocrinologist (instead of family practice doctor) next week; perhaps the T4 in the Armour is keeping my RT3 too high.

Thanks so much for sharing what you've discovered with others. The most important thing you're sharing, I think, is not just the specific details you uncover, but the encouragement to keep trying to find ways to heal oneself.

Best wishes!
Beth

sue said...

Welcome, Beth:
From what I've read about RT3, the T4 in thyroid supplements just keeps making more RT3 and blocking those T3 ports. RT3 treatment requires getting off any T4 supplements and only using T3. Not many docs will recommend this, because they have been taught to treat any hypothyroidism with T4 or at least mainly T4 with a little T3, which is what Armour or any 'natural' thyroid offers. Here are links to websites which describe the RT3 problem and how to treat it:

http://thyroid-rt3.com

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3/

I can't say whether that approach will completely resolve my problems, because I didn't get an RT3 test. However T3 only therapy seems to be working now (and also when I tried it previously).

SUE

Margaret A. Gannon said...

Sue, I've been researching on rt3 lately, as I am totally unable to lose any weight despite daily exercise and following a healthy diet.

I am being treated for metabolic resistance, adrenal fatigue, and estrogen dominance. I feel like a walking medicine chest. I also have Hashimoto's and Celiacs disease. (No surprise there.) Since my thyroidectomy five years ago, I have been on a combo t3-t4 and am supposedly in normal range.

I lost about sixty pounds in about six months last year and then it just stopped. In researching about what may be going on (or not), I came across the rt3 issue about which you wrote. I think this may be my issue and am going to ask my doctor to check for this next blood test.

Have you looked into leptin resistance, too?

How are you feeling and doing now?

sue said...

No, I haven't looked into leptin resistance. I may be wrong, but I vaguely recall that leptin resistance is related to excess weight. I'm not concerned with excess weight. (I'm 5'3.5" and about 100#.)So I never considered leptin resistance.

I've been on T3 only (in 4 divided daily doses) for 18 months now. After spending 8 months working up to a stable dose, where I stayed for another 8 months, I needed to increase my dose by 7.5 mcg slowly(in 2.5mcg increments each month) over the last 3 months. I think I reached another stable range now, according to my signs and symptoms (body temperature, energy, regularity, etc.)

If you still have hypothyroid symptoms (including difficulty losing weight), you may not have the right dose or kind of thyroid hormone. Blood tests only measure thyroid hormone in the blood, NOT how much thyroid hormone actually gets into your cells. As you mentioned, rT3 can block some of the cell receptors. OR, like me, you might just not do well on t4/t3 therapy. (For more info on T3 only therapy, read "Recovering with T3 therapy" by Paul Robinson.)

Most mainstream docs only look at blood tests and ignore the patients symptoms and other signs that the thyroid therapy isn't working. You may need a more knowledgeable doctor or even a holistic doctor (like a naturopath) to help you find the appropriate thyroid hormone type and dose for your symptoms.

Mainstream docs ignored my Hashimoto's (and celiac) symptoms for many years. I self-diagnosed celiac and ordered tests which confirmed my suspicions. My next doctor (a naturopath) agreed with that dx and went on to diagnose 6 more food allergies. Another naturopath tested me for Hashimoto's based on my celiac history and suppressed immune system (I wasn't taking any immune suppressant drugs, but caught many respiratory and gastrointestinal infections.

Unknown said...

Currently taking 50 mcg Cytomel. I do believe I have RT3 dominance. 4 weeks in and feel more balanced and sleep a bit better but still tired.

QUESTION - Do thyroid supplements nourish the thyroid or make it churn out more T4? I'm talking iodine & tyrosine?

The past 5 years is a sad rerun from 1994-1999. Back then an O.D. replaced the M.D. I had and was open to thyroid trials and homeopathic approaches. She put me on Cytomel and I was stable for 7 years then she left and other DR took me off. Just convinced him to let me try it again after having TIA's or mini-strokes with no obvious cause indications. Also have been fighting the 30 pound weight battle every 18 months, so always on a diet.

sue said...

To answer your question ... from what I've read thyroid supplements merely add more thyroid hormone, when our own thyroid glands aren't functioning well, esp. after being attacked by antibodies. However, Paul Robinson's book "Recovering with T3" can give you a better understanding of thyroid hormones and why t3 only works well for some people.

If you still have hypo symptoms, like fatigue and excess weight, you may not have an adequate dose of T3, or you may still have antibodies attacking your thyroid. Have you ever had a TPOab test? Are you consuming gluten? Gluten intolerance is highly correlated with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Many celiacs, like me, have Hashimoto's.

Have you taken any adrenal function tests? Paul's book explains how impaired adrenal function can interfere with thyroid function.