Thursday, January 19, 2012

2-1/2 Weeks on T3 Only

Although I've read that most people need 8 weeks of T3 only therapy to clear the T4 from their bodies, I feel better after only 2-1/2 weeks. I suspect changing from 2 divided doses to 3 divided doses has helped most. I used to get an afternoon low energy, even though I took T4 upon my doc's suggestion, to prevent those energy crashes. Not only did T4 not keep my energy and body temperature level, but also I seemed to need more and more T3 to cope with hypo symptoms all the time I took T4. Now I have leveled off with a dose of 37.5mcg T3 in 3 divided doses.

Best of all I recently ordered and received in the mail yesterday a book entitled "Recovering with T3' by Paul Robinson. In that book, the author describes his journey to trying T3 only therapy. Then he details how he used T3 therapy to completely eliminate his hypo symptoms.

In other news, I finally got a lightweight laptop (13.3" screen and 2.4 lbs. with an 8 hour battery life). So I'll be converting what I have on my old desktop computer over to my new laptop in the next several days. Part of me is resisting the change. I've had a desktop computer for many years. My current model is rather slow with weird peculiarities (like getting hung up on one window when it first starts sometimes). A small, lightweight laptop signals the end of an era for me.

I got my first desktop computer back when I was a freelance artist, selling my paintings at arts and craft fairs, galleries, juried shows and special commissions. I really resented the time I had to spend on the computer for my business, because I prefered to paint. However, I couldn't afford a manager. So I had to do my own taxes and other business chores on my computer.

I stopped painting about 10 years ago. At first I missed the arts and crafts fairs, where I had lots of friends who were either other artists or customers. I didn't miss the hassle of setting up my booth for those fairs. I didn't miss hauling paintings to galleries and back home after they didn't sell. I didn't miss the stress of wondering whether my paintings would sell or win prizes at juried shows (which almost guaranteed sales). I didn't miss thinking about painting 24/7.

After I stopped selling paintings, I felt useless, because I wasn't earning money from a job, albeit self-employment for many years. Volunteer work (first leading a ThinWithin group at my church and then leading a celiac disease support group) made me feel more productive. However, complications of celiac disease influenced me to resign from leadership of that second group as I focussed on my own health recovery.

Recently I reached a new level of physical health. So I'm ready to consider volunteer work for my church (possibly leading another celiac disease/gluten intolerance group and/or working with a group which feeds, clothes and provides overnight shelter for homeless women in our area). So a newer, lightweight laptop seems appropriate for this phase of my life. Nevertheless, letting go of old rituals (like turning on my computer when I first get up, because it takes awhile to warm up) makes me feel sad ...

No comments: