Thursday, April 14, 2011

TPOab Result and No Charge Visit

I received another blood test result today. My TPOab (Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies or Hashimoto's antibodies) was 37. Last November that number was 53. After 6 weeks on LDN (low dose naltrexone) that number was 47. My lastest TPOab result of 37 was after 4-1/2 months on LDN. That and my improved WBC (white blood cell) result convinced me to resume taking LDN. If I still get colds easily, I can certainly improve my immunity even more. I'll resume LDN after I get my prescription tomorrow.

Today I saw my doc. She had not received all my blood test results, because my HMO only sends those to my 'outside provider' (doc unaffiliated with my HMO) AFTER all the results are in. However, I can access my results as they appear on my HMO's website. So I just printed out everything I received (CBCs, TSH, FT4, TPOab and Vitamin D3 levels) and took those to my appointment with my doc. While she was looking at the results I asked her if I could resume LDN, Levoxyl (my T4 supplement) and vitamin D3 at 1000IU daily. She concurred with all those ideas. She was also very pleased to see my WBC levels were finally in the midnormal range and my TPOab had decreased even more. So we're both excited to see how much more improvement I'll experience by continuing the LDN another 3 months or so.

My doc was so impressed by my questions and understanding of my blood test results that she didn't charge me for an appointment. She said she couldn't offer me anything, because I figured it out myself. So we just talked about gardening and fashion for the rest of my appointment time. I promised to bring my old Oprah, Bazaar, Living Without and Lucky magazines for their clinic waiting room the next time I needed to buy more arabinogalactan from their clinic.

Maybe I should have just booked a phone consult, but I like to get regular blood pressure, weight, pulse and body temperature assessment. As usual my weight was exactly the same as it was for the previous 5 visits, but my core body temp was low, probably because I'm fighting yet another cold. Oh well, all the more reason to resume taking LDN.

No comments: