Saturday, April 16, 2011

FT3 Result

I never did see my Free T3 test result posted on my HMO website. So I didn't think they ran that test. However, I received in the mail today the paper copy printout of all my recent blood test results, which included the free T3 result. I have mixed emotions about that result. I'm glad I finally got the result. However, my recent FT3of 2.3 (normal 2.4-4.4) was even lower than my last result of 2.7. (Before I began taking supplemental T3 last November my FT3 was 2.0.) So how did my FT3 levels DECREASE while I wsa taking 10-12 mcg of Liothyronine (T3) daily???

Perhaps I do need the T4 (Levoxyl) supplement to get enough T3, even though I don't easily convert T4 to T3. At least taking Levoxyl could prevent the afternoon energy drain, because T4 rises slowly ans decreases slowly. (The half-life for T4 is 8 days vs. the half-life of T3, which is 8 hours.)

I also suspect I haven't been as careful as I should be with my dose schedule. I'm supposed to take my thyroid supps 1 hour before food and 3-4 hours before taking magnesium supplements. However, I take Mg supps with breakfast lunch and dinner so that I don't get a big dose of Mg all at once. Large amounts of Mg can cause gas and bloating, which I don't like. I used to get up and take my thyroid supps and then go back to bed for another hour or so. Then by the time I had breakfast 3 hours later, 4hours would have passed between my thyroid supps and my Mg dose. However, I've gotten a little careless with my morning dose. Sometimes I eat, rather than just drink juice less than an hour after I take my T3 dose. Sometimes I eat breakfast and take Mg less than 3 hours after my T3 dose. Both food and Mg interfere with thyroid supplement absorption. So I get some of the thyroid, but not all.

Whatever ... my low T3 level explains why I've had more regularity problems lately despite taking thyroid supps. So I'll resume my earlier habit of getting up when I first wake up in the am, rather than rolling over and going back to sleep. I can take my thyroid supps with arabinogalactan and THEN go back to bed for an hour or so. LOL

I took my first LDN (full 3 mg dose) last night. I noticed the difference immediately. I slept well, but I woke up remembering vivid dreams. I missed those during the week I was off LDN. I only had one scary dream previously while on LDN, but that was after watching a disturbing movie. Also I noticed that I didn't feel the pain from my current cold (sore throat and chest pain), maybe because LDN stimulates endorphin production. More endorphins means less pain sensation. This cold seems to have progressed to my chest. So I cough (both productive and nonproductive) continually. Hopefully resuming LDN and vitamin D3 supplements (which I began to today at 1000mg) will help me recover more quickly from this cold.

I long for the day when my WBCs are high enough that no longer get every cold that comes along. Actually I suspect my husband brought me this cold from his office, where a coworker has the same symptoms as I have. Oh well, another 3 months on LDN should improve my immunity even more.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Sue - thanks so much for posting this blog - I have been diagnosed with dietamoeba frgilis and just started taking alinia (after Cipro and flagil) cultures showed this amoeba -- your blog is very helpful - hope that the amoeba "is" gone for you -- and gives me hope --- Judy

sue said...

Judy: You're welcome! However, I'm confused by your reply to this post about my free T3 blood test result. I didn't mention D-frag or any treatments in this post.

Actually I recovered from the Dientamoeba fragilis infection over a year ago. After unsuccessful treatment with Alinia (which is not recommended for D-frag) and Humatin (which is recommended for D0frag), my (newest) doc prescribed Iodoquinol (compounded without the lactose ingredient, because I have a dairy allergy). Iodoquinol did the trick. The next stool test was clear of D-frag and didn't show any new infections.

However, my good bacteria were rather low after all that antiparasitic treatment. So I took high dose probiotics for about 6 months. I still take a daily (50 billion live cells) probiotic, but I haven't had any new infections for the past year.