Friday, April 29, 2011

Decreased Internet Activity

For some time I've realized that I spend waaaaay too much time online. I regret the time I waste reading other people's blogs, checking online support groups, and even shopping at sites of stores which I can visit locally. I've tried to limit my time to once a day. However, I noticed that when I'm too tired to do anything else, need a break or want to procrastinate doing something which I fear failing or not doing perfectly, I wander into my office and turn on my computer. An hour later I realized I could have finished whatever I procrastinated, that I didn't need such a long 'break', or that I didn't get any more energy from sitting and staring at this screen.

Luckily, when my husband tried to install a security software update, my computer crashed. Nothing worked! He felt very guilty. I was relieved. I had a great way to prevent myself from wasting online time.

My husband took my computer to work and asked a techie friend to repair my computer, which involved deleting and reloading everything except, of course, my 'favorites'. Those 'favorites' included other people's blogs, shopping sites and information about medical treatments. He brought my computer home after a few days and told me it was much faster. However, I did not want him to reconnect my computer on my office desk. I wanted an enforced computer vacation.

So during the past 9 days I was online for about an hour. I observed that I can clear my emails and junk mail in about 5 minutes, answer 1-2 emails and even post on a blog within 30 minutes once every few days. During the past week I've spent much more time sewing (my true passion). I've also gotten much more rest.

When my computer first crashed, my husband and I discussed a replacement. He offered to buy me a new computer many previous times. So I took him up on his offer. I want a laptop with a docking station in my office. However, I have yet to shop for a laptop. I just don't want to spend more time either shopping for or working on a computer. So I still have my old computer, which works a little faster now.

I now realize I can ignore my computer for days and spent more time on other things. Right now I'm soaking my toenails in Listerine (a toenail fungus treatment) while I'm online. However, I just noticed I've spent 30 minutes, which is all I need for my toenails.

No comments: