Monday, January 31, 2011

WBC Differential Results

My WBC Differential blood test showed an overall increase, from 3.0 over two weeks ago to 3.4 three days ago. I suspect that WBC score varies from day to day. However, any increase tells me the Low Dose Naltrexone helped improve my immunity. Because I doubted whether LDN was helping, I abstained from taking that for one night. I STILL slept poorly. Since LDN does not have a lasting effect, abstaining for one night prevents any LDN side affects. So I realized that my afternoon T3 dose (and possibly my longer lasting T4 dose) were affecting my sleep, not the LDN.

My neutrophils were the only form of white blood cells which were below the normal range. My neutrophils (absolute) were 1.93, whereas the standard range is 2.00 to 7.30. That's considered mild neutropenia. My monocytes were in the mid normal range. All the other white blood cell differential scores were in the low normal. That included lymphocytes (1.06 vs. a 1.0-3.4 normal range), eosinophils (0.03 vs. a 0.0-0.5 normal range), basophils (0.01 vs. a 0.0-0.2 range).

I researched causes of neutropenia and found that taking antibiotics frequently lowered white blood cells and especially neutrophils. One website listed antibiotics which usually caused neutropenia. Vancomycin (which I took for 6 months during 2009) was near the top of the list. Metrodiazonale (Flagyl), which I took for 17 days before I started Vancomycin, is lower on that same list.

No comments: