Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January Blood Test Results

My recent blood test results contained both good and bad news. Although I understand exactly how my other results changed, I don't know why my white blood cell count didn't increase after taking LDN for 6 weeks. Here are the latest results with my comments about differences current and previous test results:

CBCs: Everything was normal except Leukocyte count and MCHC, which were both low again.

Leukocyte (white blood cell) level remained at 3 (normal is 4.0-10.7). That did not increase despite taking Low Dose Naltrexone and arabinogalactin to fight viral infections for over 6 weeks. I don't know why the LDN didn't improve my immunity and raise my white blood cells. However, I haven't slept well very often since I started taking LDN. As mentioned, LDN interacted with my thyroid supplements so that I awoke overheated with heart palpitations. Those symptoms decreased when I abstained from thyroid, but then I got severely constipated (a hypothyroid symptom). So I decreased the LDN to minimum 1.5 mg dose and slept well for a few nights. When I took a higher LDN dose (1.75-2mg), I slept poorly.

MCHC decreased to 32 from a previous 33 (33-37 is normal) in November and 32 in September. I suspect the MCHC levels decreased again, because I've had bleeding hemorrhoids almost daily for the past 6 weeks. That began after an impacted stool episode which occurred after I decreased my thyroid supplements to prevent hyperthyroid symptoms caused by interaction between LDN and thyroid supplements.

THYROID HORMONE TESTS:

TSH increased from 0.797 in November to 1.72 in January (normal range is .3-3.0). Both those results are normal, but I suspect my doctor prefers a lower TSH score. Decreasing my T3 and T4 supplements to prevent hyperthyroid symptoms caused by interaction with LDN affected my TSH.

Free T3 increased from a previous 2.0 in November to 2.7 in January (normal range is 2.4-4.4). Because T3 decreased my hypothyroid symptoms (constipation, low energy, low body temp) more effectively than T4, I continued taking T3 while I eliminated T4 to avoid hyper symptoms. Despite having no improvement in hypo symptoms while taking only T4, I can more easily overdose on T4. So I cut T4 and continued T3.

Free T4 decreased from a previous 1.19 in November to 0.67 in January. Not taking T4 while continuing to take T3 could have caused that decrease. So I recently resumed taking 25 mcg (1/2 prescribed dose) daily.

Anti-TPO (Thyroid Peroxidase AB) decreased from 53 in November to 47 in January (normal range is 0.0-60). That decrease may have been the one positive effect of taking LDN.

Thyroglobulin Antibodies remained less than 0.9, as they were in November (normal range is 0.0-4.0).

Vitamin D3 (25 Hydroxy) increased from 33 in September to a higher than normal 93 in January (normal range is 30-80). I suspect taking 6000IU of D3 daily for 2 months increased my blood levels of D3 too much. However, I took the D3 to improve my immunity (ability to fight off viral respiratory infections), while my white blood cells were (are) low. That high Vitamin D level explained why I experienced increaseingly severe constipation (more bleeding hemorrhoids) during the week before I received that test result. Since then I've cut waaaay back on Vitamin D to let my blood levels decrease and restore regularity to let my hemorrhoid heal.

I received the last of those results at least a week ago. Then I made an appointment to see my doc to discuss what to do about those results. Actually I know how to resolve everything except the white blood cell levels. I can take more T4. I can take less vitamin D3 supplement. However, I also need new prescriptions for both my T3 and my T4 supplements. If I weren't taking the LDN I would request a compounded slow release T3 supplement to eliminate taking a second T4 pill one hour after lunch, which sometimes occurs rather late in the afternoon.

I didn't notice any benefit to taking the LDN. That did not increase my white blood cells, but it did disturb my sleep for many nights as well as cause hyper thyroid symptoms. Insufficient sleep can also lower immunity. (I notice I catch more colds when I don't get enough sleep.) Rather than start me at a low dose, my doc prescribed an LDN dose appropriate for my weight. Then I began waking up in the middle of the night feeling overheated and having palpitations. After I recognized those as hyperthyroid symptoms caused by interaction from the LDN, I decreased my thyroid. Then I got severe constipation with an impacted stool which caused bleeding hemorrhoids. So I resumed my thyroid supplements at a lower dose, which restored regularity UNTIL high levels of vitamin D again caused constipation and bleeding hemorrhoids. Decreasing the vitamin D eventually restored regularity, but I still have bleeding hemorrhoids. I suspect eliminating the LDN and increasing my thryoid supplements will help me sleep better and recover from bleeding hemorrhoids.

No comments: