Sunday, February 6, 2011

Doctor Appointment and Birthday

I saw my doc the day before my birthday. We discussed my latest WBC differential results. Because my most recent WBC result increased (from 3.0 to 3.4) and my Hashimoto's antibodies decreased, I decided to continue the LDN at 1.5-1.75mg, which still helps immunity w/o disturbing my sleep. I'll try to take my T3 before 4:30 so that I get tired earlier in the evening. Since the T4 only gives me palpitations and overheating, which disturb my sleep, but doesn't help regularity, we decided to discontinue T4 (Levoxyl) and continue T3 (liothyronine) at my current dose of 5mcg 2x daily. Also I'll continue to abstain from vitamin D (and take more magnesium) until my vitamin D blood levels return to normal symptoms. Unfortunately that could take weeks or even months. SIGH

My doc called in a 3 month supply of my T3 supplement so that I don't have to pick up cold germs when I visit my HMO clinic pharmacy. My doc also recommended I continue taking B12 (1000 mcg daily) and begin taking 1000 mcg of folate daily, because my low WBC could also be related to low levels of those two vitamins. So I'll continue T3, arabinogalactin, B12 and LDN, but add folate for the next 2+ months and then retest after I've taken LDN for 3+ months (or finished my prescription).

The next day I celebrated my birthday by seeing "Black Swan" (for which Natalie Portman won the Golden Globe Best Actress award). That was a dark, disturbing movie, but Portman's acting was outstanding and well worth the award. After the movie I went to get a 'grow out' haircut. I'm growing my hair from a pixie to a short bob. So my stylist had to shorten the back and the bangs (which were in my eyes) and barely skim everything else. I like the overall look of my 'growout' cut, but I don't plan to get another cut for about 3 months. My stylist promised free bang trims when I couldn't stand the length of my bangs. So I can let the rest of my hair grow. After my haircut we visited my local HMO clinic pharmacy to pick up my 3 months' supply of T3 and then went home. I enjoyed my "Tacos Guymos" (favorite Mexican restaurant) leftovers for dinner.

For my birthday, my husband bought me 5 pound weights. I'd been using 3.5 pound weights for years and noticed those were not helping anymore. The 5 pound weights were difficult at first, but I quickly noticed the difference in my arm muscle tone. He also bought me a package of new socks after my feet got wet on my birthday and some facial moisturizer (Clinique). So all in all I enjoyed my birthday.

We planned to continue birthday celebrations with another movie ('No Strings Attached'), clothes shopping and dinner at PF Chang's. However, on the way to the movie, I realized I left my afternoon T3 dose at home. So we decided to just see the movie and go home. Since I was struggling with yet another cold (and feeling really tired), I was happy to go home early and miss the evening rainstorm.

6 comments:

Claudi said...

happy Birthday Sue ! wish you all the best !!!!!!

sue said...

Thanks, Claudia. I felt anxious about turning 64, because my dad died at age 65 and my mom died at age 66. My husband constantly reassures me that I'm much healthier than my parents, because I'm not overweight and I don't smoke.

However, for many years I struggled with undiagnosed celiac disease, then food allergies, then intestinal infections, then chronic respiratory infections and now low white blood cells.

All that makes me wonder how healthy I actually am. So I'm motivated to fully enjoy each day. After all, none of us really know how long we will live.

Essy said...

Happy belated birthday, Sue.

sue said...

Thanks, Essy. So nice to hear from you. Are you currently keeping a blog? I enjoyed your photography website. Maybe you're just using facebook? Hope you're doing well.

I keep this blog more for myself (to track my medical symptoms and improvements) than anyone else. However, a few people seemed to benefit from reading my physical struggles.

Essy said...

Hi Sue, I had stopped blogging for a while...but I'm back now with a new spiritual journal.
http://steppingaside.wordpress.com/

I stop by here once in a while to check in on you.

sue said...

Thanks, Essy, for your blog address. I'm surprised that I've kept my current blog for 2+ years. That's the longest I've ever kept a blog. (I believe I deleted at least 6 previous blogs.) However, I didn't start this blog to inspire or connect with other people (unlike my previous blogs). I just wanted to track my own health/recovery journey.

Eventually I started using this blog to record symptoms and improvements which I want to tell my doc. My emails to my doc are often copied and pasted from my blog. Otherwise I might forget exactly when and what happened.

I'll check out your blog ...