Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Update on Exceptions to Overeating

Maybe establishing a rewarding habit helps me decrease using another habit with negative consequences. Whatever the logic ... my previous post about my search for exceptions to overeating at meals helped me increase my exceptions today. I threw out 2 spoonfuls of cooked breakfast cereal. At lunch I ate 4 slices of orange, only a couple bites of cantaloupe and stored the rest. At dinner I saved about 2/3 of my salmon filet for another meal, because I enjoyed the rice with leftover garbanzo beans (from a previous salad) more than the salmon, which will taste great on a future salad.

I used to save food more often, but I got out of the habit. Now I feel doubly rewarded. First I realize saving food helps me more easily stop after eating 'just enough'. Then I get to enjoy my leftovers at a future meal when I'm hungry enough to savor the flavor. I'm counting the 'exceptions' to my 'I ignore my stomach cues and overeat at meals' belief about myself. This feels easier the second time around, after having practiced 'tossing or saving food' a few months ago.

No comments: