Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Stomach Speaks Loudly Now

For the past 3 days I paid close attention to my stomach cues dinner. I distinctly felt that sensation of 'just enough' or 'not hungry but not full'. I had committed to put away food after I felt comfortably full. I did just that after eating only part of my dinner on Tuesday (when I left about 1/3 of my dinner), Wednesday and Thursday (when I put away a little less than 1/2 of my dinner for another meal). I was so amazed when I distinctly felt that not hungry, not full sensation, even while I watched an exciting netflix movie ("Fireproof") during dinner. My 'enough' cue is no longer elusive, maybe because my stomach knows I listen and will respond appropriately.

I'm not trying to limit what I eat in order to lose weight. I'm at my ideal weight. However overeating burdens my already challenged digestive system, for which I already take betaine hydrochloride capsules to facilitate digestion. Eating just enough to satisfy hunger doesn't make my stomach work as hard or as long to digest a meal. I also have suffered from cold/flu symptoms for the past 10 days or so. Those increased in severity almost a week ago after I visited a new penguin exhibit at our local zoo. So I've told everyone I have 'penguin flu'. LOL Nevertheless, eating less at dinner allows me to get to sleep earlier and sleep longer (before the sunlight wakes me up the next morning).

I won't take digestive enzymes (Pancreatin) after dinner for a few days, in order to prepare for another stool test to diagnose what's happening in my gut now. My last test revealed I had the cryptosporidum parasite, which explained why I felt so crappy for awhile. I hope the next text reveals something easily treatable. However I don't look forward to the side effects of treatment. I usually get nausea, gas and bloating from almost all antibacterial, antifungal or antiparasitic treatments.

I'm pleased and amazed that I could learn to recognize 'just enough' so quickly. Maybe I just needed a few good reasons to stop at 'enough'. I suspect I previously sensed enough, but talked myself out of stopping. Now I can easily recognize 'enough' and stop eating. I look forward to a 'leftover' casserole for lunch this weekend, when we plan to make pizza for dinner. Pizza seems too much like a sandwich for me to eat a sandwich for lunch and pizza for dinner. I like variety from meal to meal, except on occasional days when I want peanut butter at every meal. LOL

No comments: