Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Uncertain about 40mcg T3

I'm uncertain whether 40mcg of T3 (in 3 divided doses) is enough. Maybe I haven't been on that dose long enough (continuously for 7 days) this round. I originally did that dose for 9 days. Then I reduced the total to 37.5 for a day. Then I tried 40mcg a few more days and again reduced it to 37.5. After getting more serious constipation, I increased the dose back to 40mcg for the past 6 days. However, I've noticed more irregularity, really icy hands in the afternoon and more fatigue just before dinner. So today I added 2.5mcg to my second (midday) dose. That means 15mcg when I first get up (about 7am), 15mcg 5 hours later and then 12.5 mcg 4-1/2 hours after that. I'm either taking too little at my midday dose or I'm waiting too long for my midafternoon dose. I'll see how the dose increase affects me today. Already, one hour after taking that second increased dose, I feel wide awake and warmer, but also a little jittery inside. I'll definitely wait 4-5 hours before taking my next dose.

Meanwhile I'm awaiting my doc's clinic to okay a refill request from my HMO pharmacy for my 25mcg T3 prescription. I requested a dosage change (3x a day, rather than 2x a day at 12.5mcg each dose). That will give me 135 tablets for 3 months, rather than 90 (which only lasts 60 days instead of 3 months). I considered making an appointment to see my doc and explain my divided dose and T3 only treatment strategy. However, if she will okay the dose change w/o making an appointment, I'll save $$$.

Eventually, maybe after 12 weeks w/o T3 or when I'm at a stable dose, I'll explain all this to my doc and loan her my copy of "Recovering with T3". She has been very permissive with allowing me to determine (raise or lower) my own thyroid dosage according to my signs and symptoms. She says that I'm the only patient whom she will allow to determine their own dosage and just tell her how much I'm taking, because I pay close attention to my body signs and symptoms, unlike her other patients.

No comments: