Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pantene Requires Doctor's Letter!!!

In my search for an allergy free shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair I bought some Pantene shampoo and conditioner yesterday. The ingredients didn't appear to contain any of my allergies. However, after my experience with Loreal's soy laced shampoo, I wanted to verify the ingredients. So I called the company and asked whether that shampoo contained wheat, egg, soy, vanilla or nutmeg. I usually don't see dairy or cane sugar included in shampoo ingredients.

The customer service rep told me that one listed ingredient, 'fragrance', could contain either of my spice allergens. I asked her whether she knew for sure what that 'fragrance' contained. She told me that I would need to ask my doctor to write on his 'letterhead' to Pantene and confirm that I had my diagnosed allergies. Then he could request ingredient information about the 'fragrance' or any other ingredient listed on specific hair care products. I told the rep that my doctor might email them, but not snail mail that request. The rep said they would accept a fax on my doctor's letterhead.

Then I told the rep that requiring every celiac or person with food allergies to ask their doctor to write companies to verify product ingredients ingredients was outrageous to say the least. Most companies will gladly verify whether their product contains my allergens. I don't need my doctor to testify that I actually have my diagnosed allergens in order to get the information I need. So I told the Pantene rep that I would no longer consider any of their products. I also said that I would inform many people with food allergens that Pantene is very uncooperative.

Fortunately I found another shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. The ShiKai customer service rep was very honest and helpful. She told me their regular products contain soy. However she suggested their 'natural hair care' line which includes a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. She verified that it contained none of my allergens. She also told me that Whole Foods or other health food stores would carry those products. I learned that both my local Whole Foods and PCC stores carry that.

Pantene may believe they can sell more products by protecting their 'trade secret' product ingredients. However, most people with food allergies dislike companies that won't readily verify whether products contain their food allergens. Pantene may not realize how many people in this country have food allergies.

2 comments:

Gothic Writer said...

I'm glad you figured this out, but it's still ridiculous. Sigh. I wish companies made "cleaner" products with just a few ingredients.

sue said...

The problem is what companies consider 'natural' or 'clean' ingredients. Many consider 'soy' natural. However for people with soy allergies our painful reactions are anything but natural.

I don't care what they put into their products if they just plainly desribe their ingredients on the container. If they use mysterious euphemistic terms, they can at least put their company contact number on the container. Then people with allergies can call them (even at the store with a cell phone) before buying product. Finally, they need to be honest with the customer about the ingredients, rather than requiring the customer to prove they react to certain ingredients by requiring a doctor's letter.

My husband said that Pantene's response meant their product DID contain my allergens (nutmeg or vanilla) in their 'fragrance' ingredient. They could have easily just told me, rather than playing their elusive game. GRRRR!!!!

Fortunately there are honest and helpful customer service reps who truthfully told me their products contained my allergens. Best of all, one rep suggested a line of products which contained none of my allergies. So I'm off to wash my hair now.