Sunday, April 11, 2010

100% 'Natural' Vitamin E

I found the allergy reaction culprit. Initially I suspected my shampoo, which contains 'tocopherol' in the ingredent list. Tocopherols can contain soy, one of my diagnosed allergens. However, I then found a more obvious source of soy in a new variety of the Vitamin E capsules, in a brand which I took without reaction for years. My husband unknowingly bought a bottle of '100% natural' vitamin E capsules which prominently listed 'soybean oil' in the ingredients on the bottle. I vaguely remember refilling my vitamin (6 section) container last week after I finished taking all the vitamin E from a previous (safe) bottle. I refilled my vitamin E section with that new (soy laced) product, which my husband recently purchased. I neglected to read the ingredients, because it was the same manufacturer. I didn't realize it was a new formula with soybean oil in the ingredients.

I began to experience obvious cramping pain Thursday afternoon, after feeling fine all morning. (My food allergies are delayed reaction allergies.) However, my soy reactions usually last 5-7 days. The symptoms increase in intensity and pain severity to a peak midway through that period. Yesterday I experienced the 'waves of cramping pain' similar to menstrual pain, which I always experience with dairy and soy reactions. Those waves of pain increased today to the point that I suspected I had consumed soy. Because I had other symptoms like localized cramping pain, I believed I reacted to soy, not dairy, which causes the 'waves of pain' and sinus conjestion. I just recovered from a cold during which I experienced NO sinus conjestion. So I knew I must have reacted to soy.

Little did I realize that I've taken my little soybean oil pill for at least the past 4 days. I took the last one this morning. So I anticipate (DREAD!!) 3-7 more days of painful reactions. Nevertheless, I feel confident that an allergy reaction, rather than an intestinal infection from a bacteria or parasite or candida, caused my symptoms. Now I just have to get through the remaining reaction days. SIGH

No comments: