Thursday, January 31, 2013

Addictions Part II

I love anything penguin. I read about them, collect stuffed, glass and ceramic replicas, wear penguin clothing and jewelry and visit them at zoos and the Maui Marriott Hotel. My husband enables me in this addiction. Maybe he's codependent.  I should start a support group for others like me. I could call it Penguin Freaks Anonymous or PFA. However, after reading comments which insist that my clothing/shopping/sewing habits were really 'passions', rather than 'addictions', maybe I 'should' rethink or relabel my warm, fuzzy feelings about penguins.

My penguin passion began many years ago, when someone jokingly said that I looked like a penguin. Rather than feel insulted, I recognized a great explanation for my short legs, long torso and bloated belly (pre celiac diagnosis).  Rather than continue to feel frustrated with my abnormal shape, I began to identify with those cute little birds.  People, who needed gift ideas for me, were relieved when they learned I collected penguin stuff. My husband bought me stuffed penguins, wherever we found them.  I now have about 3 dozen stuffed penguins in various sizes and breeds on dressers and beds.  The family room fireplace mantel is loaded with small penguins (glass, ceramic, candlestick holders, etc.).  The front door to our house is guarded by 2 'porch' penguins, who wear different outfits during different months/seasons of the year. Right now they wear Valentine costumes.

During the Christmas holidays the penguins rule our house. Two more lighted penguins join the standard two porch penguins.  Our living room is filled with all sort of penguins, some of which sing and dance. The main attraction is our Christmas tree which is decorated with only penguin lights and ornaments. The kitchen and family room are equally resplendent with festive penguins. This year, in addition to my usual Christmas cookies I made chocolate frosted penguin cookies. I may bake those every year.

Penguin mania even spread to my email address and custom licensed plate for my car.  I've seen almost every penguin cartoon, full length movie and documentary out there. My favorite was "Mr. Popper's Penguins", because it seemed more plausable than cartoons. I even dream about penguins occasionally.  On really cold days, when I wear a heavy, oversize, down jacket, I tend to waddle and walk with smaller steps over icy walkways.  However, I never layed on my belly and propelled myself with my feet.

I don't know how long my penguin mania will continue. I can no longer describe myself as 'penguin shaped'. Avoiding gluten and other food allergies, taking digestive supplements and thyroid hormones totally flattened my formerly bloated belly.  During years of undiagnosed celiac disease I lost 1-1/2 inch in height. My legs are still short, but my torso (neck to waist) is shorter. So I no longer look 'long-waisted'.  (No, I'm not losing bone currently as proven by 2 normal NTX tests.) I get strange looks from sales assistants when I comment that I don't wear capri pants because they exaggerate my 'penguin shaped' body. They just see me as fashionably thin. What I really mean is that I have short legs. My height 5'3.5" also qualifies me as 'petite'. I probably should just say 'petite', rather than penguin shaped.  Nevertheless, I still have a prominent beak, I squawk when I'm upset and I flap more than usual for a human being.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, I never realized how serious your penguin "obsession" was. Everything you described sounds very cute, especially the penguins on your doorstep who wear outfits that match the seasons.

As I read your post I pictured your home and I felt it is very welcoming. If penguins represent you then being surrounded by them is like a constant reminder that you live there, that this is your home, it's like a reassurance that you are cute and lovable. I think you took what could have been viewed as a negative comment and turned it into a healthy passion (I like that word, I feel it fits here too because your penguin "addiction" seems a source of happiness so there is no reason for it to be considered something that has to be overcome).

I have the warm and fuzzy feeling when I see cats. There used to be a cat that lived in a pet store near the library I go to, and I used to go in the store just to see the cat. The people who worked learned to know that I'm not a potential pet owner looking to buy pet supplies, they laughed or smiled when I came in because they knew I was there to see the cat. Sadly (or happily for him), one of the people who work there took him out of the store to live with her. I suspect he was getting old and they took pity on him, wanting to give him a more comfortable place to live in. I do miss his furry little face.

My love for cats didn't extend to collecting cat paraphernalia, although I do have an extensive collection of stuffed cat toys (most of which are packed away in a closet at my parents house), and I did collect cat stickers for a while. I don't like all cats. I know there are specific traits that I like in cats. I like cats in slumber, long furred cats, a peculiar expression in their eyes, and I suspect that I too associate myself to certain cats. So in a way, like your interest in penguins, it is a playful mechanism to facilitate a self love.

sue said...

Nobody else commented on my penguin passion. So you may be the only one who can relate. However, you contributed ... You sent me a stuffed toy penguin for Christmas one year. She sits on my bed during the day. Last year Richard bought a small book about penguins. The 2 bed penguins spent many months perusing that book ... or maybe just looking at pictures.

Although I did have a cat years ago, I can't tolerate them long, because I'm allergic to their 'dander'. Most people thibk they are allergic to cat hair. However, when I could bathe my cat, without getting too badly scratched, I didn't get my usual respiratory reactions (sneezkng, wheezing, etc. before I could hardly breathe) to my cat for a short while. So I gave her to a neighbor when I moved.