Friday, December 23, 2011

N-Teleopeptide Test Results

My doc requested one more test during my last visit. She (and my HMO PC) had previously requested that I take a bone density scan. I didn't want a test to tell me what I already knew ... that I lost bone (actually height) during those years my PCP and many other misdiagnosed my celiac symptoms as IBS and/or an eating disorder. My naturopath believed I might still be losing bone, because I was past menopause and never took any hormone replacement. I told her I consume calcium rich foods, take daily vitamin D and magnesium, do weight bearing exercise and lift weights daily. So I'm doing everything I can to keep my bones strong, short of taking HRT. My ND told me I could take the N-Teleopeptite test, which would indicate whether I'm losing excessive calcium or bone ingredients through my urine. I thought that was much easier than subjecting myself to unnecessary radiation (via bone density scan). So I agreed, order the test from my HMO lab and did the test.

Amazingly (to my ND) my results were mid normal range, which says I'm not excreting bone. Whatever I'm doing seems to be working. I believe the eating gluten (which blocked calcium absorption) and having low stomach acid prevented calcium, magnesium and vitamin D absorption. Once I resolved all that (stopped eating gluten and starting taking betaine HCl), I stopped whatever bone loss I experienced during my years of undiagnosed celiac disease.

Anyway, I'm glad my results were normal. I hope that my ND won't need any more tests to show I don't need HRT. If my HMO PCP pesters me again about getting a bone scan, I'll refer her to my N-Teleopeptide test results, which are in my HMO medical file.

2 comments:

Cjdusse said...

I really appreciate your full account of your struggles with your health and how you are coping with it. I "met" you on the Thin Within forum (Carien) and it is as if so much of my struggles the past 9 years are falling into place. I don't have the medical support here in the UK that you have. After 9 years of truggling with the same symptoms and pain and problems I am send away with Omeprazole every time. I did some research on the internet and spoke to a person in alternative health care and I was advised to take prebiotics and L-glutamine and it makes a huge difference for me. The burning in my stomach after I have eaten is much better. The infection in the line of my tummy is better. I managed to lose weight last year with the Thin Within principles but it was a VERY SLOW process because I am not always sure when I full or empty and the bloating and general feeling of illness does not help much. I can't overeat because the food won't stay in (blessing in disguise :) and if I eat protein at a meal I can't eat a dessert because it won't stay in either. by reading your post really helped me to gain a better understanding of my problems. Will be back to visit you again and talk to you.

sue said...

I really didn't have much medical support either for about 30 years. I kept getting diagnosed with gastritis, IBS and anorexia/bulimia. Sadly I believed all that until I saw a newspaper article which listed my symptoms as indicative of celiac disease.

Then I saw a naturopath recommended by my HMO. He told me to go back to my HMO doc to get tested for celiac. However, I had stopped eating gluten and refused to ever eat it again. I knew that most docs' blood tests are negative for CD if you haven't been eating a lot of gluten for several months. So I found a lab which offered stool and DNA tests for celiac. I paid for their panel of tests from my own money and never regretted that expense. They dx'd me with gluten intolerance, gut damage indicated of CD (high TtG antibodies), casein allergy and one of the main genes that predisposes to celiac disease. Fortuantely my HMO PC doc accepted that diagnosis, even after she'd misdiagnosed me with IBS for 10 years. I never again saw her for anything except pelvic exams. I found a local ND by attending celiac support group meetings. I stuck with him for several years as he tested me and diagnosed 4 additional allergies and 8 gastrointestinal infections. However, he wasn't interested in determining why I kept getting those infections. So I had to look around (and pay outa pocket) for another ND who would do more than test and treat my infections.

What did you take for H. Pylori? Did you take L-glutamine to heal your stomach lining? That worked for me after I had H. Pylori dx'd with symptoms of obvious stomach ulcers.

When you get your stomach lining healed and avoid your known allergens, you will be able to digest normally ... unless you also have hypochloridia (low stomach acid production) which I had. That can cause reflux if you eat more than a small amount, esp. if you eat proteins or fat. Read "Why Stomach Acid is Good for you" by Jonathon Wright, MD. Some docs will test for stomach acid production.

You can also test yourself for hypochloridia AFTER your stomach lining is healed. When you no longer have stomach lining pain (burning) try swallowing a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with 3-4 tablespoons of water. Swallow that before a meal where you eat meats or fats. If the vinegar improves your digestion, you may have hypochloridia.