Monday, August 23, 2010

Afraid to Believe It

For the past 5 hours I've experienced absolutely NO gastrointestinal pain. This is the first time in 4 months!! Perhaps the second round of Iodoquinol did completely eradicate the d-frag parasite. So what I experienced during the past 5 days was really lingering Iodoquinol side effects. Almost like magic 120 hours (exactly 5 days) after I took my last Iodoquinol capsule, the lower right sided and every other intestinal pain just disappeared.

The bloating which I experienced during Iodoquinol treatment began to decrease on Sunday. However, I suspect that was related to indigestion due to hypochlorida (low stomach acid). Iodoquinol was so caustic to my stomach that I had to stop taking HCl supplements during the second round of treatment, although I resumed using HCl with no problem after the first round of Iodo. After I stopped taking Iodo 5 days ago, I resumed taking mastic gum and continued taking L-glutamine, which previously healed my stomach from H. Pylori damage. By Saturday I no longer experienced any stomach pain. So I decided to take one HCl capsule with dinner. From then on I continued taking one capsule with each meal. Thereafter each day the bloating decreased a little more.

Also I no longer have irregularity. Perhaps the HCl helped me more effectively absorb the magnesium supplement which usually helps regularity. Perhaps the HCl just improved my digestion. Perhaps the Iodoquinol had previously caused constipation. I don't know for sure what caused that irregularity, but I'm glad it's gone.

I'm afraid to believe that I can actually experience pain free digestion. I used to get lower right quadrant pain within an hour after eating. That pain lasted until just about time for the next meal 3-4 hours later. Usually aerobic exercise like walking or yoga gave me some pain relief. However, I didn't do any aerobic exercise this afternoon. I stood processing vegies for our freezer and then emptied the dishwasher.

If I continue to improve, especially regularity-wise, I'll get my blood tests later this week (7-9 days after I stopped taking Iodoquinol). Then I can do that stool test early next week. Unfortunately I won't get the results back for another month. However, if I don't have any painful symptoms, I'm inclined to believe I'm free of gut bugs!! YIPPPEEEE!!!

No comments: