Sunday, November 30, 2008

Insights from ThinWithin Review

As I review my old ThinWithin (TW) workbooks, I understand how I went from trusting 'the spirit' (God's guidance) for my eating choices (what, when, how much) to trusting the 'law' (food allergy info) for those choices. After my CD and food allergy diagnoses, I believed I could eat any 'safe' (nonallergenic) foods in unlimited amounts, with no regard for hunger and/or satisfaction. I still had some malabsorption problems and gastrointestinal pain from bacterial imbalances and a still undetected parasite. So I couldn't eat much without experiencing pain. Yet I chose to believe that I didn't have to worry about eating past satisfaction, because I couldn't trust my impaired digestive process. I thought I felt full only because I had digestive problems. I wanted to believe that I could overeat and not gain weight, because I didn't digest food very well.

Now I realize that during that time I often underate, because my stomach hurt after eating. I heard many other celiacs say they could eat so much food without gaining weight, because of 'malabsorption'. However I also met overweight celiacs who could not overeat without weight gain. Eventually I realized the weight control factor was PAIN, not malabsorption. Even the overweight celiacs had malabsorption symptoms, from not getting enough of certain nutrients. Nevertheless they STILL absorbed enough CALORIES to maintain excess weight. Only celiacs (like me) who suffered constant gastrointestinal pain stayed thin, because they actually ate much less or less often to avoid pain.

However, as I eliminated each of my food allergens, resolved bacterial imbalances and eventually treated (killed) the parasite, my gut pain almost disappeared. Yet I still didn't feel well after eating, until I recognized and began to resolve digestive issues caused by hypochloridia (low stomach acid). Later I realized overeating contributed to reflux as much as foods which relaxed the lower esophogeal valve. So how I eat (beyond satisfaction) influenced reflux as much as WHAT I ate. Again I could not rely on the 'law' (a list of safe foods) to prevent digestive problems. I needed to listen to spirit which guided when and how much I ate through my hunger/satisfaction sensations.

I didn't exactly return to 'dieting' to control my weight or maintain a healthy body, but I did trust lists of safe foods (to avoid allergy reactions and reflux) to protect me from gastrointestinal pain. That's similar to trusting weight loss diet laws to guide my eating behavior, rather than trusting physical sensations of hunger, satisfaction and how I felt after eating certain foods to guide my eating decisions. Granted, I had MANY (7) food allergies and needed to know which foods contained those allergens. So allergen information helped me understand which foods caused discomfort after meals. However, I chose to ignore physical sensations of hunger, satisfaction and reactions to other 'safe' (nonallergen) foods, while I trusted that avoiding food allergens was enough to keep me healthy and comfortable. Rather than trust or even seek God's guidance, I trusted food allergy tests and research to tell me what to eat and often ignored my physical sensations about when and how much to eat. I even felt angry with God, because he didn't reveal the source of my gastrointestinal pain sooner. I was angry that He let me suffer so long. That anger turned me away from ThinWithin and toward celiac support groups.

8 comments:

Essy said...

That's great that you have given it so much thought and can see where things were slightly off kilter for you. I'm still not there...I'm not even wanting to think about it...lol. Say a prayer for me please.

sue said...

Thanks, Essy. I will pray for you. I suspect you understood and accepted God's grace long before you joined WD and/or TW. For me TW provided the first explanation of God's grace that I could actually understand and accept. So many ministers and congregations of my churches spoke in what I call 'Christianspeak' whereby they explained grace by using the word grace over and over.

I also did not believe I deserved God's forgiveness because I had used shameful eating habits for years, had a bad relationship with my mother who abused me during my childhood, and left my first abusive controlling husband. I came to TW from WD, which taught me about hunger/satisfaction eating and convinced me that diets didn't work. However, I still didn't feel worthy of God's grace until I read TW's explanation.

I believed eating 0-5 would eliminate my disordered eating habits and relieve longterm gastro problems. So when I developed excruciatingly painful gastro symptoms while following TW principles (and probably eating all my allergens) and later learned I had CD, food allergies and other medical problems, I thought, "I did all that TW study and group leadership, only to learn that food allergies caused my symptoms, not my eating habits."

I didn't want to admit that my eating habits also caused gastro problems. I wanted to believe I used those habits to just cope with food allergies, rather than painful emotions. However, after I left TW I returned to using food (albeit 'safe' food) to cope BIG TIME! I forgot about turning to God when I felt physical or emotional pain. I returned to bingeing when I was stressed ... about once a month. I knew I was still bingeing on 'safe' foods, but turned to books about 'normal eating' and 'food and feelings' rather than returning to God, the source of power, comfort and guidance.

I can't pretend to know your path or how you strayed from your intended path. That's for God to show you. So I pray that God will guide you gently back to where you want to be, how you want to eat and how you want to live.

Anonymous said...

I think you are very brave to have realised all of this and to be dealing with it. I'm glad I stumbled on your blog because I'm treading a similar path (coeliac and multiple food intolerances) but I'm far behind you -I'm only just realising that my childhood was damaging and that I've had emotional eating habits that have damaged me. I know that if I had had better self esteem then I would probably have got on top of my food intolerances and stuck to the good foods more rigorously - it was easier to be in pain caused by food than recognise the pain screaming inside of me. I'm finding it very therapeutic reading your blog!

sue said...

Thanks, Louisa. I'm glad my blog inspired you. However, you just replied to my 2 year old post. I hope you continue to read my blog and learn the rest of my story. Not only did I have undiagnosed celiac disease and 6 food allergies, but I also had Hashimoto's thyroiditis (caused by gluten antibodies attacking the thyroid) for many years.

I had all the symptoms of low thyroid (feeling cold all the time, dry skin, constipation, etc.), but I lacked one common symptom (overweight), perhaps because I worked so hard to keep my weight down or maybe because I had celiac disease. Likewise I had 3 commonly accepted signs of celiac (short stature, tired, thin), but not the classic diarrhea symptom. Instead I had constipation caused by Hashimoto's.

So Hashimoto's disguised my celiac disease (no diarrhea), just as celiac disease disguised my hypothyroid symptoms (not overweight). I'm still frustrated that doctors were so rigid about insisting that both celiac and hypothyroid patients have ALL the 'classic' symptoms. Nevertheless, doctors continued to use an excessively high 'normal' TSH scale (over 5.0, rather than over 3.0), which also prevented my hypothyroid diagnosis for many years.

I hope you will consider which other autoimmune diseases (caused by many years of undiagnosed CD) you might have and find knowledgeable docs who can diagnosed and treat those conditions.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting back to me Sue. Yes I am reading through from start to current so I'm looking forward to seeing/reading your journey unfold and hopefully to recovery - fingers crossed. So glad you finally uncovered the hashimotos diagnosis, that's a major step forward! Your reply amazed me because I also have constipation rather than diarhhea with coeliac...will now investigate hashimotos so thank you for that! My doctor isn't keen to do more investigations but I will push that if necessary. Many thanks and best of health to you x

sue said...

Louisa: Do you have other Hashimoto's symptoms (besides constipation), like dry skin, feeling cold when others are warm, fatigue, hair loss (even losing the outer third of your eyebrows is Hashi's related), etc.? Does your doc regularly test your thyroid with TSH test? What is the 'normal' range for his lab's TSH test? In 2003 Endocrinologists (national association) altered the 'normal range' (formerly 0.5 to 5.0) to a new 'normal range' of 0.3 to 3.0. My HMO only altered their range to a high of 4.5. So my above 3.0 TSH results were considered normal for over 10 years.

You may need to see a knowledgable endocrinologist for an accurate hypothyroid diagnosis. Also you can have normal TSH, normal T4 and normal T3, but still have a very high Hashimoto's antibodies (TPOab) test result. Like celiac, most docs don't diagnose hypothyroid until you're really ill or your thyroid is obviously damaged. Unfortunately you can suffer through years of hypo symptoms before docs give you all the tests you need to diagnose thyroid problems. An endocrinologist may be more helpful if your doc doesn't want to test you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Sue. I checked and my TSH in May was 1.01. I think it's something to bear in mind, funnily enough my dry skin and feeling the cold has got better in the last year since I've been avoiding gluten. I've also noticed that I don't lose as much hair from my head which is a strange thing to notice, but I used to moult hair like crazy. I haven't had to clean out the plughole this year which is amazing!! Thanks for the information and it's really useful to know this.

Best wishes
Louisa x

sue said...

Louisa: TSH can be 'normal range', while you other thyroid tests can be very abnormal. Have you ever had tests for free T3, free T4, reverse T3 and/or TPO ab (thyroid peroxidase antibodies which indicates Hashimoto's thyroiditis)?? If you still have hypothyroid symptoms, you may want to get those other thyroid tests.