Wednesday, February 18, 2015

OSTEOPOROSIS TREATMENT


After fracturing my left femoral neck (hip bone) last June 2014, I had a DEXA scan in mid August which showed pretty significant osteoporosis. Just getting an order for the DEXA was challenging. The doc substituting for my PCP (who was on maternity leave) insisted that a hip fracture already says I have osteoporosis. He wanted me to take Fosomax (side effects: jaw necrosis, spontaneous fractures and gastrointestinal damage) ASAP.  I convinced him to order the DEXA and postpone Fosomax until I saw the results. 


The naturopathic doc, whom I'd seen regularly for 5 years, freaked when she saw my DEXA results. However, she prescribed a great nutritional supplement plan, biodentical hormones and lowering my T3 supplement. She also recommended I read "Your Bones" by Laura Pizzorno and Jonathon Wright MD, who heads the clinic where I first met my ND. 


I had taken calcium regularly when I was younger, before I had hypothyroid symptoms (esp. constipation).  Then after my celiac and dairy allergy diagnosis, I tried to get calcium fron nondairy sources.  Obviously many years of undiagnosed and misdiagnosed celiac disease prevented me from absorbing calcium and other bone strengthening nutrients. So, despite my doing regular weight bearing exercise and lifting weights for years, I have significant osteoporosis now.  I knew I was losing height (I'm 2 inches shorter than when I was in my 20s), but didn't realize the extent of bone loss before my DEXA.


So after my DEXA and visit to my ND I started taking the following supplements: 


AlgaeCal 5 caps daily for 1250 mg total calcium (Per cap 250mg Ca, 22 Mg, 333 D3);
Magnesium 3-3/4 caps daily (Per cap 300mg Mg, 200mg K) plus AlgaeCal Mg;
Strontium 2 caps daily (680 mg for 2 cap) 3-4 hours after calcium;
Vitamin D3 (1000 IU per tab) 1-1/2 tabs daily (plus Algae Cal which also contains D3);
Vitamin K2 (100 mcg per cap) 1 cap daily;
Vitamin B Complex (includes 80mg Niacinamide, 400mcg Folate, 600mg B12) 1 cap daily;
Vitamin B (balanced B 100) 1 cap daily;
Niacinamide (500mg per cap) 1-2 caps daily for thumb joint and elbow arthritis;
Vitamin C (500 mg per cap) 2 caps daily;
Vitamin E (400 IU) 1 cap daily;
Zinc (30 mg tab) 1 tab daily 


Custom Probiotics Adult CP-1 Formula (50 billion live cells per cap); 1 cap daily;
IAG (arabinogalactans) 1 tsp dissolved in 6 oz water daily (2 g arabinogalactans) for immunity;
Betaine Hydrochloride (650 mg per cap) 2-4 caps per meal w/ fats and protein for hypochloridia
I also do weight bearing exercise (walking, jumping and lifting weights, as well as pt exercises to strengthen my hips and back) daily.
I'm still taking all those supplements and doing well.  However, I had to battle my insurance company to get biodentical hormones.  I also had to find a doc who would give me an effective level of my thyroid supplement.  Neither too little or too much thyroid hormone is good for bone health.  However, I'll describe those battles in another post.
I suspect this post will make me  vulnerable to loads of comments, criticizm and suggestions by posting my osteoporosis treatent supplements. However, I'll try to respond to every comment, unless it's really an advertisement for drugs for osteoporosis, which I will immediately delete and/or block. Nevertheless I'll reply to questions about treatment and my experience with supplements.
 



No comments: