Sunday, March 10, 2013

March Update

As expected, my life became more complicated after my last post.  I did make Valentine cherry flavored cutout cookies with coconut flavored frosting. My husband LOVED those cookes, but we still have 6 left. He wants more decorated cookies for St. Patrick's Day, even though he never celebrated that day before he met me.  Any excuse for more cookies ... but I need to explain what happened on Valentine's Day. 

My husband caught a cold from a coworker about a week before Valentine's Day. He shared that cold with me. He developed a painful cough. I developed a sinus infection. So by Valentine's Day we were both too sick to celebrate much, even though he took time off to spend the day with me.  We walked to a local Mexican restaurant for lunch, because I always crave spicy foods when I havea cold. He also gave me an H&M gift certificate with his Valentine's card for me. No chocolates, because we can't find any chocolate free of dairy, soy and cane sugar. I can make allergy free fudge, but that's too much work for the few times I crave chocolate. I can always eat my allergy free chocolate ice cream on those rare occasions.

Despite taking lots of zinc, vitamins C and D and arabinogalactins (the source of echinecea), eating many oranges, getting lots of sleep, the cold lingered on for weeks. When my husband returned to work, he heard everyone coughing and their stories about getting a severe cold that lingered for weeks. My husband is still coughing a month later. I still get a sore throat (my first symptom), when I get tired early in the evening.  Nevertheless we both recovered somewhat.

I never finished altering one pair of pants, although I successfully altered the other 2.  After days of struggling to resolve a crooked pleat problem, I gave up and hung the pants in the back of my sewing closet, behind many other garments, which I'll probably want to wear sooner than those pants. 

We had sunny, warmer weather this weekend. So we cleaned out last year's vegie gardens by harvesting the rest of the carrots and leeks, but threw out brocolli plants, which our local birds considered part of their daily diet.  Although we have 2 seed feeders and 3 suet feeders, the birds attacked my brocolli regularly. So I only harvested a few small brocolli heads from about a dozen plants. This year we will plant brocolli far away from the bird feeders and cover the plants with netting.

I've also spent several weeks hasselling with Express. I bought a pair of columnist pants last month and was told I'd get 50% off a second pair.  The first pair was a store return, which fit perfectly. However, that size is usually only available online. So the manager ordered another pair online, but we could only guess the color, because online colors are deceiving.  Over a week later, the 2nd pair of pants arrived, but the color didn't match anything in my wardrobe. The fit was fine, but just not my color. So I returned those pants in store and was persuaded by that store's personnel to buy another pair in a different color. However, those pants were the same number size, but different length.  I soon realized that a 00r (regular) is actually bigger all around (waist, hips, thighs and lengths) than a 00s (short), the size of my original purchase.  However, I also had ordered 2 more pairs of columnist pants online in my size and colors which seemed to fit into my wardrobe.  Before the 2nd 2 pairs arrived, I returned the 00r to a local store.  The next day I received the 2nd 2 pairs in the mail.  One pair was labeled size 00short, but they were huge. I could put them on and take them off without even unhooking or unzipping them.  The second pair was another 00regular, which were a little too big, but I ordered those before I realized that 00regulars were bigger, not just longer, than 00shorts.  However, I measured the waist of the 00r, which was 28 inches. Then I measured the waist of the 00short pair, which seemed waaaay too large. The 00s was actually 32 inches in the waist.  Obviously those were mislabeled. So today I returned the mislabeled 00s and slightly too big 00r pants to the store.  I need to mention that I ordered another 00s pant in a true white color.  Hopefully the color and the size will be correct this time. Fed Ex estimates I'll receive that last pair on Friday, the day before St. Patrick's day, when I'll be baking cookies.

 I hope Express finally gets one right.  After this experience, I'm done ordering online. I'm glad H&M only offers garments in the stores. If they don't have my size, I move onto another garment (or store).  By the way, I've already blown that H&M gift certificate, which my husband gave me for V Day.  I don't know why I bother shopping anywhere besides H&M.

10 comments:

the weight of a letter said...

Sue you are tiny!

I think you're right, H&M is one of very few stores that actually sell clothing with correct size labels. Most of my clothes, especially pants, are a size 2 or 4 and I know for a fact that I am not that small... and in H&M I would wear a larger size, which I think would be more accurate.

I've read, don't remember where (probably a news article), that in the US many clothing manufacturers are inflating the sizes because Americans are one of the most overweight populations in the world (so what used to be a size 6 in a store like Old Navy is now labeled a 2, to make the larger customers feel less insecure about their bodies).

sue said...

At H&M I buy a 2 or a 4, depending on the cut of the garment. Last weekend I bought a size 4 pant, but previously I've bought size 2s and size 4s.

So true about size inflation. In my 20s I weighed about 5 pounds more than I do now and was 1.5" taller. I wore a size 7/8 during the late 1960s. During the 1970s I was about the same weight and height but wore a size 5/6. During the 1980s, same height and weight, but I wore a size 3/4 (I still have some of those garments). During the 1990s I wore a 1/2, and still the same weight but had shrunk an inch (undiagnosed CD caused bone loss). During the early 2000s I wore a size 0. During the past 2 years I lost 2-3 pounds and another 1/2 of height, but I wear a 00 in clothes from Gap, Express, Banana Repulic, etc., but still 2 or 4 from H&M.

When I first started wearing a 0, my husband asked me if I'd be wearing a negative number in a few years. He's very familiar with size inflation for women. Men wouldn't endure such foolishness. LOL

the weight of a letter said...

Yeah, I don't understand why mens clothing have actual measurements on them and womens have single digits ranging from 00- 3XX... what does that even mean anyway. It would make more sense to put actual length and width measurements on womens pants like they do with mens.

the weight of a letter said...

Hmm, but in mens clothing there is foolishness in sweater and t-shirt sizes because in the US they come in Small through XXXlarge. Sometimes the sleeves are longer or too short, which isn't marked unless it is a formal dress shirt.

Maybe this shows how the culture is teaching us to keep an illusion of what we really look like. That's too bad because it teachers self hatred and makes it difficult for people to know their bodies.

the weight of a letter said...

This also makes me think of how there is a store for men called "Big and Tall" but women's clothing refer to it as "Plus Sizes"

I think if a woman was called "Big" it would be taken as an insult, which is interesting.


sue said...

Also size inflation makes shopping difficult. I used to wear a perfect 0 at Express. Then they added a 00 and increased the size of the 0. So I stopped shopping at Express, because the 0 was too big and the 00 too small. Strangly now I wear 00 pants. Either I shrank (could 3# make that much difference?) or they made the 00 bigger.

Yeah, men's dress shirts go by neck size, but they also have 'slim' (fitted to the body) or regular (loose). Fortunately men's pants go by waist and length.

More expensive women's jeans (Citizens of Humanity, 7 for all mankind) go by waist size. However that size is irrelevant when the pants don't sit at the waist, but instead hit at or a little above the hip bones. I never understood how they calculate the waist size from a pant which fits around the hips. Fortunately my hips are thinner than 'standard' but my waist is larger. So I can buy low waist pants by my waist size, but can't always wear pants which have a normal waist in my size. Weird!!

sue said...

Likewise men may be insulted by the label 'petite'. No short, thin man wants to be reminded of his less than culturally applauded physique.

I used to be told I was 'petite', when I was still 5'5" tall, but the sales personnel really meant I was 'thin'. They just didn't want to say that word.

Now I'm officially 5'3.5" (under the 5'4" standard for 'petite' and I shop in petite departments. I may be 'petite' by human standards but I'm extra large by penguin standards, except for the 'Great Guin' whom you will meet in a few weeks. LOL

Optimistic Existentialist said...

As a male, I have always wondered why the sizing is different for the genders.

Anonymous said...

Sue how can I contact you personally? I wanted to ask you about something I saw you posted elsewhere, about your low blood sugar journey, my email address is pusasales@aol.com please contact me. thank you Pamm

sue said...

Sure, Pam. I'll email you. However, I don't recall posting much about a 'low blood sugar' journey. I did have low blood sugar symptoms, back before I was diagnosed with celiac disease and 6 other food allergies, and later with hypochloridia (low stomach acid). Perhaps CD or food allergies prevented me from absorbing enough nutrients to keep my blood sugar level. Likewise low stomach acid would have made protein and/or fat digestion very difficult. So lack of those nutrients may have given my unstabl (low) blood sugar.